SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nnnnan

Ack! Aphids sucking the life out of my indoor tropical hibiscus!

Nnnnan
19 years ago

They have been gradually building up in numbers, lots of little plump green buggers covering the new growth, older leaves, and sucking the life out of bloom buds before they can open. One poor plant is almost defoliated by the !#$!&*! aphids.

I have tried spraying two kinds of insecticidal soap on them, one containing "salts of aliphatic fatty acids" and one containing pyrethrins and canola oil. It seems to work for awhile, but then they got better at hiding underneath the leaves. Plus, I am wary of liberally spraying bottle after bottle of these insecticidal soaps on the plants due to some nice drapes and rugs nearby and the ever-present roaming of two cats. And because most of them are in very large pots and about 4-5 feet tall, dragging them outside to vigorously hose them off every week gets *very* old quickly.

Sooo... what are my options? Releasing dozens of ladybugs inside the house would keep the aphid numbers down and provide non-stop entertainment for the kitties, but that does not seem feasible either. I was thinking of trying some Rose Pride systemic but am a little wary of the funky chemicals in them that I would be adding to the indoor potting soil. But if it works, at this point, I suppose I would excuse any potential long-term health hazards.

Do the systemics stop the aphids dead in their tracks? If it worked for you, which brand do you use for your indoor plants?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor