SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimcoco

what herbs from seeds vs. cuttings?

kimcoco
16 years ago

Hi all,

I just purchased an Herb Guide from the grocery store - I've never planted herbs before. I'm in Wisconsin.

I want to plant them - for now - in planter boxes on my sunny airing porch. This is what I've learned from my guide, but I need the experts to fill in the blanks where necessary (please refute these "facts" as needed).

Per the guide booklet:

Mint (keep contained) - grow from cuttings as seeds will not have the same flavor

Cilantro - ok to grow from seeds

Basil - ok to grow from seeds

Thyme - ok to grow from seeds or cuttings

Parsley - ok to grow from seeds

Oregano - choose Greek from cuttings for best flavor

Seeds or cuttings for these??

Lemon verbena -

Tarragon -

Marjoram -

Rosemary -

Mint, Oregano and Thyme grow well in pots. Keep mint contained (for me that's not an issue)

Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary prefer soil on the dry side, so I will plant these separately in an 18" planter box. I'll use the 36" L planter for the rest - we'll see what I can fit.

Feeding with a steady diet of nutrients robs the herbs of their essential oils, so I will go easy on the fertilizer. Harvest at least 3x season.

Next year, maybe I'll consider moving them to my lannonstone planter in the back yard, but I'm afraid the dogs will pee on them, thus making them inedible! Maybe I'll try a window box next year.

Any other advice for a first timer? Am I missing anything crucial? I like to do a lot of italian cooking, and plan to puree my tomatoes this year and season with herbs for sauce.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (4)