SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ourhappyhome1

First Time Canner Need Some Advice

ourhappyhome
13 years ago

Hello everyone. Today marked my very first attempt at canning. I purchased an All-American 915. I bought it exactly 2 years ago to make Annie's Salsa. But then I read the manual and completely chickened out. I made the salsa and froze it - LOL. Other than reading the manual, I've been afraid to try the doggone thing until today. I'm so glad to have this site as a resource.

Now the question: After reading the manual 3x, researching online and watching you tube videos, I purchased, cleaned and pressure canned 12 pounds of boneless chicken breast. In the middle of my 2nd batch, the water ran out, or so I think. I don't know yet because the canner is still cooling down as I type. The reason the water probably ran out is I let the weighted gauge jiggle too much. I just learned that it was supposed to jiggle 1 - 4x per minute but I let it jiggle a lot more than that because the dial read 10 - 12 pounds of pressure. I tried to research this online but you can see why it was difficult to find an exact answer. How many jiggles are too many? By allowing the weight to jiggle more often, did I underprocess? overprocess? Is the meat likely good to eat? I just want to UNDERSTAND what I'm doing. It's taken me 2 years to get over the fear and give this a try. It's something I've wanted to do all of my adult life. I really don't want this one mistake to send me back to square one. Thanks so much for your help!

April

Comments (10)