SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristimama

Growing herbs in ground next to non-edibles

kristimama
16 years ago

I have what is probably going to seem like a stupid question. I'm a newbie to gardening, so forgive me. ;-)

Should I be concerned about planting edible herbs in the ground next to non-edible types of ground cover.

My fear would be, I guess... if I had planted some sort of non-edible, or even a toxic plant nearby... would there be a danger in eating the herbs that are planted near it? (I wish I understood how plant biology worked better.)

I have a steep hillside that is currently an annual wall of weed and grass with some vinca. It's ugly, but holds down the topsoil each year during the rains and in the spring we weed it or whack it until the cycle begins again in the fall. This spring we're thinking we'll plant a manzaanita creeper or ceanothus ground cover along with some lavender, rosemary, and creeping thyme...

Like I said, I'm new to this. I'm so used to BUYING my herbs and don't want to just start wandering through my yard picking things without being certain they'll be safe to eat. I hope that doesn't sound too silly.

Comments (5)