SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

not canning, but question about rendering fat

pqtex
11 years ago

This may be a little off topic, but I feel like this is a great place to get answers. My husband "harvested" a wild hog last week. I cut the fat into small pieces (well...I actually used a food processor, so "small" pieces is an understatement) and proceeded to melt it down. I heated it around 250 degrees and poured off the clear fat as it accumulated in the pan, which yielded a total of 3 pints of beautiful clear oil. I let it cool on the counter, then refrigerated it.

There's just one problem. It never solidified--not even after two days in the refrigerator! I've searched for an answer and posted to another forum, but haven't figured out why my hog fat is still liquid!

Has this ever happened to any of you? I expected it to be a soft solid. It isn't. It is just as liquid as regular cooking oil. It tastes fine, looks fine, I've used it in a couple of recipes calling for oil, and it worked just fine. But why is it still liquid? It is clear with no sediment or separation.

Any suggestions as to why this happened? Grasping at straws, would a wild hog be different than a domestic farm hog? Does it make a difference where on the hog the fat came from? Mine was all back fat, no belly fat.

The meat from the hog was absolutely delicious, btw!

Thanks..

Jill

Comments (6)