SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tom_wagner_gw

The Man behind the Big Boy Hybrid Tomato

tom_wagner
19 years ago

The death of Big Boy's creator. The late Oved Shifriss.

I could not find a link to anyone talking about the death of Dr. Shifriss on the GardenWeb forums. My apologies if this has been brought up, but I grew up growing Big Boy tomatoes and as a breeder of tomatoes,and I wish to give a toast to him. Thank you much, Dr. Shifriss!

The first article I read about Dr. Shifriss linked by accident through Newsbot's search engine. The article can be viewed by the following website:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2004/07/17/HOGHU7JBB41.DTL

The New York Times ran an obit for the creator of the 'Big Boy' tomato. Oved Shifriss, a plant breeder and geneticist,who worked for the Burpee seed company -- W. Atlee Burpee & Co. -- when he created the 'Big Boy' in 1949. He was 89 when he died June 25 in Bloomington, Ind.

I never knew what Oved looked like. For others who didn't here is a jpg of him:

http://www.lifeinlegacy.com/2004/0717/ShifrissOved.jpg

According to George Ball:

"That Mr. Shifriss' father had immigrated to what would become Israel from Odessa in Ukraine was not irrelevant in the development of the Big Boy, whose genetic heritage remains a "trade secret," Ball said. "Some of the greatest-flavored tomatoes are from the Ukraine, like the Black Krim, a dark purply-green tomato. So when you talk about tomatoes from the Ukraine and the mystery of the Big Boy, you're getting warm."

I would bet Carolyn would know what Mr. Ball is talking about, namely, the secret parents of Big Boy.

The secrets of exact pedigree info of my own varieties may die with me. I have been waiting for the right time and place to disclose them. My own family would not know how to search through hundreds of pounds of notebooks of extensive pedigree documents and field maps, nor the thousands of seed envelopes going back 50 years or more.

Tom Wagner of Redmond, Washington.

BTW, the greenhouse is filling up with string tags on the nearly 1,000 different tomatoes growing there. Today's male parents included my classic Green Grape and a potato leaf striped cherry tomato

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions