SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynn_nevins

overwintering rosemary indoors

Lynn Nevins
11 years ago

Hey all! So I have had my rosemary indoors for a few months now, and while it's not 'perfect' as it was over the summer (all nice green soft leaves), it's still doing overall quite well. Sure, there are some leaves (mainly towards the bottom) that have become dried out, and overall much of the plant and leaves have a sort of ashy whitish film.

I had heard that besides heating elements (which I keep my plant away from AND my heating system is modern so the heat doesn't come out super hot or dry anyway, thank god!)...but anyway, besides warmer drier temps indoors I heard that maintaining a humid environment and some type of air circulation are crucial. I guess there's not much I can do about creating a humid enviromnent (I one time tried sitting the plant elevated over some water but the water developed all these stringy red worms!)...and as far as air circulation, I'm not about to run a fan 24/7.

So what I was wondering is....do you think it would 'hurt' for me to cut back some of the stems...especially in the inside part of the bush, to help open it up a bit...so that the plant is more airy and can breathe better? Might that help at least while it's indoors over the winter? I know that part of air circulation for a plant includes ensuring there's not too thick a concentration of stems/leaves all brushing up against each other...this is why I'm thinking cutting some of the inner stems down might create some air space....

Yes? No?

Thanks!!

Comments (7)