SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrybateman2

Marihanas peace, & Sunset Red Horizon

terrybateman2
18 years ago

Hi- all, I have read a few posts on the above named varieties, and I feel that many of you are not giving them a fair crack of the whip,

Not all areas and soil types can produce the desired results one expects from both these varieties, it took me tw0 or three years to grow out Marihanas peace and get the desired results , a sweet mild creamy tomato, it proved to be exactly as described, and definatly worthy of an heirloom,it definatly doesnt like greenhous growth and is very prone to leaf deseases early on, it definatly prefers outside cultivation,and it appears to be a bit like goose creek in the fact that it is a two stage or more ripening situation regarding flavour, the real flavour only seems to develop right at the very end on the vine- many people pick them too early, I pick them 4 to 5 days after they have turned full colour or more, one has to learn to judge it just right from your own plants and conditions,sunset red horizon has produce very well here for me,I was dissapointed in them for a start but the bucked up there ideas when about half grown and produced a tremendous crop of very large tomatoes (some of them )but the rest are also a very good size as well - and so far I am very impressed with them.but it will probably take me three seasons to master them completly to my own satisfaction.

I feel the biggest mistake people make when trying out a new variety is not growing enough trial plants to start with, personaly I think a minimum of five plants for each new variety is the only way to test them out,as no two plants come the same or produce the same,for example I grew out some Tolshoi tomato plants this year and three gave tomatoes exactly as described whilst the others gave smaller tomatoes and inferior plants, you realy have to rogue them out and be utterly ruthless in plant selection -even after the half way stage of growth. its quite often the same with taste -two or more identical tomato plants with identical tomatoes on them can and have produced two different tastes ,one might be a bit bland and the other might be quite sweet, so give them a chance and grow a minimum of three to five plants when trialing them.

Comments (76)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH