SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
herboholic

Transplanting Rosemary from container to ground

herboholic
16 years ago

I have about 5 rosemary bushes that are HUGE and in containers. I've always had to contain them because the soil in the backyard is clay-based not very far down and is not very good drainage. BUT...this year we're making planting beds (actually redesigning the backyard especially for an herb garden) and I want to take the rosemary out of their containers and put them in the ground. I am positive that when I go to do this they will come out of their containers in one piece....the shape of the container.

Should I bother the roots at all, loosen things up, or should I leave well enough be?

They are all so healthy right now, I don't want to lose a single one of them. For reasons I won't go into, a couple of them hold extreme sentimental value for me.

They've survived in their pots through the winter so far, despite temps being 10 degrees and some snow. They're very strong plants and well established. But I, like others who've posted here, have concerns about disturbing the rosemary and moving it.

From pot to ground. Should it be that big a deal as if I were to dig it up from the ground and relocate it in another part of the garden? I'm just wanting to de-containerize them and plant them in the new garden beds.

Comments (5)