SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
batyabeth

Spring planting has begun!

14 years ago

The rains will end next month, and there will be no more till October. I took a walk with my sweetheart in the mountains, but we were too late for mushroom finding. Wild syrian thyme (za'atar) wild true sage and wild iris in full bloom, bright red anemones and poppies all over. A twig each from the sages and thyme only - it's illegal to gather wild plants - home for rooting. I've never had any luck with honey, and the rooting hormone powder is hit and miss, but again I'll try. Finally found a yarrow millefolia for sale, and finally found two small columbines. Bought small lavender, lemon verbena and basil (all of mine died during the move), repotted the rosemary, mint and wormwood that are native to this area. I can't afford to buy soil too, so yard dirt and old potting soil and layers of collected stones in the bottom will have to do. I figure if it can't survive my conditions, it doesn't belong in my garden! I try to plant mostly things that like rocky soil and very hot, very dry conditions. Water for gardens is at a premium here, and every drop costs us. (In the summer I collect water from the AC and use all of it, and rarely open the hose at all) Some annuals that will get extra water, like lobelia, pansies, alyssum and the perennial geraniums that DG insists on. Perennial gauras greening up, indigo sage, crocosmia, and wild cyclamen in bloom everywhere.

Planted seeds of okra, butternut squash, sweet pea and delphinium last week. No sprouts yet. The really big gamble is the packets of wildflowers, perennial and annual, that I got as gifts in the states and miss so dearly. What lives, lives. Have not found a place for the compost pile (considered very odd here, esp. in the city) and am considering a few places for a raised bed veggie garden, as the ground is far too rocky (very little soil, nearly all rock) to dig. Cautions are the fierce sun in coming summer, steep slopes - not a flat area in sight - and watering proximity to AC and laundry water. I think, and plan and dream...........

Comments (5)