SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plsgrow

Method for Staking/Supporting Heirloom Tomato's, Please?

plsgrow
18 years ago

I am cross posting this into the Heirloom Tomato Forum where I should have put it in the first place. Apologies for the cross post, if required. Mistakenly posted to: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0517063524343.html

This is my first year to seriously grow a variety of heirloom tomato and we now have approximately 100 heirloom tomato plants in the ground. A portion of the tomato's are paste type tomatoes so that I could can my own sauce. I'm afraid that I was so excited about all the tomatoes that I didn't consider the method of supporting such a large quantity and am now seeking advice on a inexpensive but effective supports. Several have already blown over in the high winds of a storm.

What did gardeners do in the days before PVC, manufactured cages, et al? Let the plants sprawl on the ground? Many of the tomatoes are medium sized, some are alleged to weigh in at 1-2 pounds.

We have used wide metal fencing fixed to rebar and tied the tomatoes. All space is in use. DH made cages last year out of metal fencing and those are being used again this year. He has suggested making cages out of concrete reinforcing wire but that's a lot of rusty cages, considering that he is also growing the normal Better Boy's, Rutgers and Mr.Stripey. Not sure about rusty wire cutting into the tomatoes. The large tomato cages are $3.98 at Lowe's. I had thought that simple wooden stakes would suffice but the price of lumber is too out of sight. Have some river cane left over from the beans, but don't think they will be strong enough, nor are there enough. Any reasonable suggestions would be greatly appreciated for numerous support/stakes.

Thank you in advance from one who did not think ahead because of being extremely preoccupied with family fatalities. I'm so glad that the seeds were ordered earlier this year while I still had my head on straight.

Well, somewhat straight.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting