SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taryn_gw

We have MORE germination!

taryn
22 years ago

Hi again,

On April 18th I posted that two of my H. 'Elizabeth Town' strain in germination gel had sprouted. Well now it's over a dozen, plus I have about the same of the H. orientalis 'Spotted Strain', both in the gelcups and in the coffee filter/baggie. These have been in the fridge for weeks. Nothing (visable) yet in the pots outside, though I'm hoping roots are travelling down at present. A few of the H. orientalis 'Heinz Klose' have germed as well, though none of the H. x sternii 'Boughton Beauty' has. All the seeds, in gelcups or coffee filters, still look very plump and healthy. Some are a dark brown, some reddish, and most are sporting little bumps at one end I hope are precurses of roots.

So now I'm getting excited! And ready to transplant some with 1/8" roots into their own pots and out into the great outdoors. Will any well-draining potting mix do? I plan to put them along the outside wall of my garage, on the north side of the house. It stays shady there, though it is bright shade, but is the coolest spot I have on the property. Though it was cold and miserable today, we are in for 4 months of hot, humid and hazy (and probably dry as well) if the weather holds true to normal. Also, should I be calling these H. orientalis strains H. x hybridus to be correct? These seeds were all obtained from the very generous John Dudley in Tasmania, link below.

Thanks for your advice...

Taryn

Here is a link that might be useful: Elizabeth Town Hellebores

Comments (21)

Sponsored