SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

What to plant to deter deer, rabbits, and insects?

Okay, so I'm planning a rose garden this year and have already ordered some plants. The problem is I've read deer, rabbits, and japanese beetles love rose bushes and aphids can also be a problem. I looked up repellent plants for these pests and noticed a common theme: none of them typically like strong smelling herbs, basil, chives, garlic, onion, or catnip. I don't want to spray them or put bonemeal (or blood) down. Garlic especially seems to be good against rabbits and aphids.

I plan to make a few raised beds around my rose garden with a few of these plants in them to deter the pests, but the problem is I've never tried to plant any of them. I live in zone 7. I would like to raise chives, as I've heard great things about it repelling pests and also they're pretty and bees love the flowers, but they don't look easy to grow.

What plants do you recommend that are easy to grow? I'd like a maximum of three please, as I don't want to overwhelm myself. How does one grow the plants that you recommend (simple directions are fine)?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH