SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mariahadams

Changing Water to "Flush Out" Potentially Harmful Substances

mariahadams
10 years ago

I tried planting herbs for the first time a couple weeks ago. I have parsley, sweet marjoram, and dill in three small pots that I originally put on top of the refrigerator to keep them warm, but it didn't work.

I had the idea of putting them in my empty fish tank since the light could keep them warm (and, obviously, give them light). It's been working, but the only problem is that I put them in the last half inch or so of water that was left in there from when I had fish in it. I don't know what I was thinking. I know that was a stupid move. That water hasn't been filtered for a few weeks now.

So, I cleaned out the fish tank and put the pots back in their little dishes, which I filled with clean water. I have a light on the plants now, but not a lid. I'm hoping the water will evaporate off the plants and take some of the potentially hazardous materials that were in the fish water with it.

If I replace the water often enough, will the herbs be safe to eat? Also, I've read as long as you cook the herbs enough most of the germs will be killed.

Any thoughts? Will the plants be safe or should I throw them away?

Comments (7)