SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

How's your Late Mango Blooms/Fruit Set doing?

puglvr1
10 years ago

My mango trees bloomed in January but almost all the blooms and fruits fell off...luckily it bloomed again in March and April. Its definitely going to be a late mango season for me this year...about 2 to 3 months behind normal.

Here's a few pictures to show you how small the mangoes still are...hopefully it will mature in a couple of months?

I heard in the Miami area they have been picking certain varieties of mango for the last couple of weeks or so...

Comments (30)

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

For a while there I thought it was going to be a very bleak mango season for me...its looking much better today...hopefully, these mature!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

How's everyone else's trees doing? Love to see your photos :o)

• Related Discussions

How Much Fruit Do You Get From Your Fruit Trees In Containers?

Q

Comments (26)
    While citrus is young count the leave and divide it on 20. that is how many fruits you may leave on them to bear. On adult trees 10 leave is enough for photosintesing for one fruit. The better plant is doing with foliage - more fruits you will collect. So pay attention on a mineral fertilising of your trees and they will pay you back with the fruits!! That lemon of mine lost all leave in december and fruits never turn yellow - I had to collect them in april, so it could grow new leaves. This Meyer got 7 lemons This wild citrus is 5 years old, does not grow at all, but give me 2 fruits every year!! And it is very rare that you will collect more fruits than volume of your pot every year
    ...See More

100 Year Old Mango Tree - How often does fruit bloom?

Q

Comments (11)
    It's not a Carrie. Carrie is a semi-dwarf tree. Most of the "Old" mango trees are usually Haden's or Haden seedlings as the number of varieties available in the US were fairly was limited at the time and Haden was the dominant variety. Haden is also a large tree as well. Mango trees can live for 300 years, but in most sub-tropical climates in the USA a 50 year freeze will knock a lot of them out. Mangos depending on variety are inconsistent bearers and weather plays a large part from year to year. Mango flowers are damaged or killed below 40 degrees.
    ...See More

How long for a Mango tree (from seedling) to set fruit?

Q

Comments (23)
    There are tall growing varieties and there are not so tall growing ones. Probably your best course of action is to let it grow as tall as possible to get a thickened trunk then cut it very low. That way you should get a number of side shoots/branches. If you cut it early with a thin trunk you're likely to get fewer branches. Having it up against a fence reduces the area branches have to spread out and is what promotes a taller tree. If you had a grafted tree those don't grow as tall as the ungrafted ones.
    ...See More

mango not setting fruit

Q

Comments (8)
    If your tree bloom during the rainy days. It may have got some fungal problems on the blooms, which could have destroyed your fruitsets. Spray copper when it sends out new flower growth, I think the fungus gets to them even way before it begins to bloom. Some varieties has multiple blooms during the year, some will not, I don't know about your variety. Home Depot and other similiar stores will have these spray pumps that hold a couple of gallons you could buy for like forty dollars. It would seem kind of dangerous if you tried to get the entire tree since you mention its 30ft, I would not worry about spraying the entire tree just areas that you could easily reach and pick fruits.
    ...See More
  • puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joyfus...Silvia How are yours doing??

• ibarbidahl
    10 years ago

No fruit set for me. :-( But this was the first year that it bloomed (potted) so it isn't such a setback for me. It loked like I'd have 5 fruits but then they shriveled and dropped when they were still tiny. Ah, well. Thems the breaks. The tree is still so small I would have only kept 2 anyway. *sigh* I just miss having fresh mangoes on my own trees.

• whgille
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy

My mango is still a baby, I have long time to wait. Your mangoes and your trees look so good! congrats!
    I have to take pictures of a mango tree that I saw when I was going around the neighborhood, it is giant and so loaded! is great to see that sight in my area, that is the first one that I see like that around here. There is hope.:)

My mango today

The lychees are ripening...

Silvia

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ibarbidahl ...I know how you feel...the first few years I planted my trees the freeze nailed it...it took a couple of milder winters to help them recover and eventually fruit. I'm sure yours will give you some fruits next year... Potted mangoes take a lot more work and grow slower than inground also...Good luck!

Thanks Silvia! Your mango tree is very healthy, I love how you shaped it, very cute! I'm betting next year you will see some fruits :o)

Your lychees are looking great too...very soon you'll be enjoying some.

Isn't it great to see a large and fruiting mango tree in your neighborhood...a very good sign...Love to see some pictures soon.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Silvia, I forgot to ask you what variety your Mango tree is?

• whgille
    10 years ago

Nancy, I have the Fairchild mango. I decided on a few small mangoes after sampling at the Fairchild mango festival. I liked a lot of the best tasting ones but I do prefer the ones that are smaller size, also that they don't grow too tall.

I saw this at Epcot in March fruiting in a container

I still have to take a picture of the one by my house, I guess the fruits are ripening now, I will have to check it out.:)

Silvia

• jofus, ( Englewood, Fl zone 10a )
    10 years ago

Hi Nancy,
    Wow, your mango trees look great especially knowing those are 2nd bloom fruit !
    My one Glenn is the only one out of four that produced this year, but in many ways it made up for the other laggards ! Can't get frustrated tho,..keep telling myself these are young trees - only in the ground 3 years. I did get two fruit blooms however, in late Dec and in late Feb. Both blooms dropped shortly thereafter on all the trees except the Glenn. Good old-reliable Glenn,..would recommend that as a starter tree to anyone !
    Have been harvesting big red/orange/yellow plump Glenn mango's for the last 10 days !!! Every morning upon waking, the 1st thing I do is look out to see if any fruit fell during the night,..do the same just before twilight and of course at least twice during the day.
    This pic shows a healthy early 1st bloomer, my 2nd pic will be a smaller 2nd bloomer. Strange weather is all I can contribute these early harvests to,..but I am not complaining. My freezer is chock full of frozen Papaya and Mango and I still have about 25 more Glenns to drop !! ( smile )
    Joe

10 years ago

One of the offspring of that late flower blush of tiny fruit that I first noticed in late Feb. These look like they will make it to maturity,..probably be dropping as 1 1/'2 - 2 # luscious fruits sometime in early - mid July. This is a first for me,..the early season Glenns heretofore were all gone by July 4th !

• whgille
    10 years ago

Nancy, here are the neighbors mango trees, they are loaded with fruit and some are getting ripe. It looks like two mango trees and a papaya.

Silvia

• greenie1_gw
    10 years ago

Our tree did great this year, we got about 100 mangoes but right now it's bare. I'm not optimistic about a second bloom.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jofus...Your Glenn is looking really good, happy for you that you are enjoying mangoes everyday ...I still have a ways before mine are ready though I have a couple from the first bloom set that is close.Definitely unusual weather we had in the winter that probably caused these late blooms?

I'm SO excited I'm going to get to taste some of my Glenn this year especially since not one single fruit set from the January blooms...thank goodness for the March blooms/fruit set.

Silvia, thanks for the pictures...Wow!! those trees are huge and full of mangoes. What a great sight to see in your area, it does give one hope to see mature mango trees...you'll have to stop by and see if you "taste" a couple,lol...

Greenie, lucky you! 100 mangoes that's amazing! Definitely too late in the season for a second bloom now...

• whgille
    10 years ago

Nancy, I don't know who lives there, it is in a gated community, maybe if I saw someone outside I would ask for tips...Anyway I am going to be in Jamaica at the end of the month and it is mango season there, I will be eating them every day.:)

Silvia

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That sounds great Silvia...enjoy your trip and eat lots of mangoes for me too :o)

Nancy

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My mangoes are still mostly green but slowly maturing though I picked a couple a few days ago to finish ripening on the counter...I've lost several of them to squirrels, racoons, etc...ate right through my mesh bag I used to cover them up...Very frustrating!! They're even eating the Green ones!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jofus, I picked a Glenn that was almost 1 and a half lbs...the biggest one I've ever had on my tree...must have been due to the 17" of rain I've had since July s1st!!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's one I Sliced open today...ripened nicely in just a few days! Very happy with this one...tasted fantastic!!

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

I planted a mango last January and something is eating all the leaves. I never saw a flower so I know it wouldn't fruit. All the new leaves have been eaten. I did see a silver colored beetle type bug on the leaves last month. I tried killing them and they have a hard shell. They also drop to the ground as soon as you move the leaf.

Wondering what you all use on your trees for bug control and fertilizer.

Thanks,
    Jane

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Jane, it sounds like you might have Sri Lanka Weevils? I attached a couple of links below so you can see if these are what you have munching on your mango leaves...

I've been fortunate...I don't have those in my yard (yet)...I've heard of people killing them individually as a means to control them, shake the tree and as they fall off you can dispose of them...but I would call a local nursery prefably one that sells fruit trees...maybe "Crowley's Nursery" in sarasota might be able to suggest something to use...Good luck!!

BTW, Mango usually blooms in FL around Dec. and January...the drier cooler months trigger blooms...so hopefully you will them next winter...

Sri Lanka Weevils

Here is a link that might be useful: Another link...Sri Lanka Weevils...

• saldut
    10 years ago

My Haden trees are doing well, the huge one in front is loaded but the squirrels nibble on them and ruin them... occasionally they throw me down one after they have tasted it, guess they take pity! I'm going to have that tree topped in a few weeks it is too huge...the younger tree in the back-yard has some fruit, but not a lot and still green, Calvin climbed it and topped it last year and of course they are shy-bloomers after that... I also have another huge mango we grew from seed, it has to go, the fruit is not good, tastes like medicine..so we are cutting it down, that will let more sun in out there....the Haden has delish fruit, very sweet, and very large, some are 2-3 lbs., and stringless.... LOL, sally

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Sally, your Haden sounds like a great mango tree...I've had Haden before and they are Very good!! But, know the trees can get very large...one of the reasons I picked the semi dwarfs and dwarf varieties...Pickering, Glenn and Cogshall...they don't grow too large and I also prune them once a year after fruits are harvested to keep the size in check...especially since I live where we get several freezes in the winter, keeping them pruned helps to protect them...

Seedling mangoes rarely produce good quality fruit...once in a while I hear of one that is very good...but grafted mango trees is definitely the best way to go.

I can SO upset with the Squirrels/Racoons/Critters in my yard...they eat everything I grow!! So frustrating :o(

• jane__ny
    10 years ago

Puglvr1, I think you named the insect. They are very silvery colored but I read your links (thank you!) and it sounds like them. My hibiscus are practically destroyed, the Mango, Avocado and lemon trees are all eaten. I don't know what to do.

We moved to this house a year ago and planted a bunch of fruit trees. I made large flower beds and planted hibiscus and various other bushes. I know I'll lose the hibiscus as there are almost no leaves left. I have tried to kill them by hand, but they are so hard I can't crush them. I'm going to try knocking them into soapy water.

The Mango is very bad. All the newest leaves are gone. They are all over the tree. Same with the lemons.

This is one of 3 hibiscus. If you look center-left you can see the silver-white insect munching. As soon as I touch the leaf, they drop to the ground and run.

Another hibiscus

How discouraging! I might try the tanglefoot which was mentioned.

Jane

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Wow...I'm SO sorry, it must be so frustrating to see all your hard work and beautiful plants and fruit trees being attacked and eaten...Good luck!! I hope you're able to get rid of them.

• saldut
    10 years ago

Hi Pugl-- We bought the first Haden back in 1970 down at Webb's City nursery (remember that place?) and there weren't any dwarf trees, it is huge way up twice over the house, has been topped and pruned and just shoots back up, no ferrilizer or watering or spraying, and it just keeps going...what a tree...LOL, sally

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You're right Sally...I'm sure dwarf/semi dwarf mango trees back then were either non existent or extremely rare...Not familiar with that nursery...I moved to FL in '92 (Bradenton) and now live in Highlands county...a Lot more work and issues growing tropical fruit trees here due to our occasional "freezes"...wish I lived in zone 10 like you...I'm a zone pusher,lol...

I can imagine how hard it is to tame your very large Haden, they are just not made to be "forced" to stay small,lol...

• greenie1_gw
    10 years ago

I've had these weevils on my crepe myrtle for several years now and I'm sorry to tell you they are very hard to get rid of. This year I thought maybe I had gotten them, and in the last few days they've appeared suddenly and devoured the lower leaves on my myrtle. I've tried Tanglefoot, Bayers, and not had much success with anything beyond the pick and squish method early in the morning. Insecticides will kill them but are tough on the plants. One thing I'm considering is some sort of soil barrier as I understand that hatch and come up from the soil. Wish I had better advice for you.

• diane_v_44
    10 years ago

I so enjoyed all these postings and photos of Mango trees
    I am in Florida, my home there, only the winter months

I see lots of Mango trees even in abandonded lots and especially on Pine Island There they have a festival in July I believe it is A mango festival.
    Well I never see the trees with fruit, other than as you describe in January, little baby fruits, which oft times a number of them fall off

Times I have thought to fly down in July to see the fruits and pick a few right off the tree.

Not done so yet but seeing these photos really is a pleasure
    As well hearing some about them in peoples own gardens.
    Thanks for sharing the info and photos

10 years ago

Just thought I'd put a period to my earlier optimistic thoughts regarding Pugs' question. In early June I thought for sure the 2nd impetuous flush of tiny mangos on my Glenn and Valencia Pride trees would mature into large, delicious beauties. Alas, not one single survivor from those unique ( for me ) late blooms. All just quickly dropped off the trees soon after.
    In fact the only ripe mangos I harvested was the bumper 1st bloom from my old reliable Glenn. Still have my freezer half full of frozen slices from that huge crop, the last few dropping off around July 10th.
    Another nice development was how the new Maha Chinook has gone bananas after my tip pruning a few months ago. This is the pic of the MC taken this morning,..slightly amazing when I recall that the tree was just a straight skinny stick with maybe 8 - 10 leaves on it just 4 months ago.
    I hope some of you other mango maniacs out there had better luck with those late blooms, and if not, hey, there's always next spring. ( smile )

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Diane, I'm glad you enjoyed some of the pictures...you definitely have to come back down in July and pick some fresh mango off one of the trees...nothing like a fresh mango (So much better tasting) than the store bought that is usually picked green...immersed in boiling water) to kill all bugs and pathogens before it can be shipped to the US...nothing like a home grown mango. I've been to that Mango Mania you're talking about in July...very hot but lots of mangoes to buy!

Jofus, thanks for the update picture of your Maha...its looking Great and very healthy! I hope you get to taste one next summer!

Its so strange how you and I have had very different luck with our first and late blooms...most of my first blooms didn't make it except for a few...yet I've had so much better luck with my late blooms and the mangoes are SO much larger than I've ever had before (I"m sure the abundant rain we've had) has a lot to do with it...

Here'a a nice cluster of Cogshall...waiting to ripen :o)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting