SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbieinmiami

Selling house - need ideas

DebbieInMiami
16 years ago

Ok Florida folks, do not laugh at my hodge podge of plants in the front of the house. The birds and butterflies love it, but potential buyers might not see it as good curb appeal haha

From left to right is:

- Necklace Pod with Jatropha behind it

- Yesterday, Today, Tomorrow with Monstera in front of it

- Some sort of Jasmine in the middle

- In front of the Jasmine dead center are 3 Little Strongbarks

- To the right of the Jasmine are a couple of hibiscus

- In the flower box is the white variety of a plant that usually has blue flowers (brain freeze, can't for the life of me think of the name)

- Last but not least, there are a couple of native groundcovers - Pineland Lantana and Quailberry.

Believe it or not, the hibiscus was chopped back at least 50%, the jasmine was cut back too. I pruned up the Strongbarks and it's still way too cluttered.

My first gut reaction is that I need to get rid of the Strongbarks (as much as it pains me to say that, this is one of the BEST plants I have ever had)- beautiful flowers and berries, SO easy...but I know they are in the wrong place, so my first question is, would soneone like to come and take these home?? I don't know how well they will transplant, but they survived Wilma and I know they look a bit scrawny now, but they get nice and FULL.

In place of the Strongbarks, I could fill in with something simple, and green - but what?? and how high should it be?

Next dilemma are those darn hibiscus. Should they come out? I could make a nice corner with the bird bath, but again, what should I put in their place? The Jasmine is going to cut off at the end of the wall, so it might look funny. Cut them back more? Square? Round? I do not know what I am doing haha

I could prune the Jatropha more and the Yesterday (darn thing only blooms in the fall), and the plant in the flower box is not pruned evenly, it's so hard to get up there, so I am doing it in stages - anything else??

Hopefully someone with a good eye and not much to do on this blustery morning will give me some suggestions.

THANKS SO MUCH!!

{{gwi:879060}}

{{gwi:879061}}

Comments (18)

• solstice98
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My realtor neighbor said to take out everything to the right of the Monstera except for the lantana. Maybe leave the hibiscus in the corner but cut it way back.

I'm sure others will have more specific ideas but that was her immediate reaction. She's not a gardener but she says homes with overgrowth on the front don't even get looked at by buyers.

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    16 years ago

Hi Debbie - I personally love the full look you have there but I think you are wise to look at thru from a potential buyer's eyes. Not everyone is a gardener (which I don't understand:). My first thought is security. Too many places there for a bad guy to hide. You need to clear out everything from near that window. Maybe you could offer those large plants to someone willing to dig them out for you? Also if you or someone else is familiar with photoshop or one of those type programs you could play with the photo to find the look you want before you start. Good luck to you. Wish I was closer - I would be happy to help you relocate some of those beautiful plants. Is there room to move some to the back yard?

• Related Discussions

Im Selling My Aga Stove..Need New Stove Ideas

Q

Comments (15)
    First off I really liked it many many uses,I myself since kids left its just hubby &I.I had lapband surgery so I cant eat but 2-3 fork fulls,at a meal,So Im not cooking as much.I make lots soups, etc. Slow cooking roasts,we never were big on eatting out we like homemade.. I have all holiday meals here.It was nice with the Aga get everything ready place in different ovens,it was ready when guests arrived.I have the 4 oven black.It has 2 huge burners on top you start the food on top put in oven then.A large warming tray .We updated it so it was more efficient.We sometimes shut down over summer and cook on grill for summer.It was nice for certain crafts.hubby dried gloves boots in front.We had it seviced yearly,I waxed it every year with car wax.Last a lifetime.20,000 in canada but were asking 5,000. Im now getting ready for transplant (kidney) so now is a good time to sell.I 'll miss itTheres a hot for broil,hot baking,Aoven for lower baking,a warming oven ,a simmer oven,I often use simmer while at dialysis ,it was ready when I got home ,nice because the last thing I want to do is cook when I get home.
    ...See More

Need creative marketing ideas for selling - throw them out there!

Q

Comments (13)
    I don't feel you need to go 'outside the box' to sell, and do something outlandish. When I was selling, all but one person who looked at my condo were women. ALL commented on the decorating/staging, and asked if I was 'in the business'. ALL put in offers, most too low, but nevertheless, offers. People want to envision living in *that* space, if they *emotionally* relate to it and like it. It gives them vision, which you would assume most women have, but in reality, many do not. Buying AND selling is an emotional experience. You want to play on the emotions of 'I love', I need', 'I want'. Once you've 'captured' them emotionally, it's just a matter of time before one of those 'lookers' come back again, again, and again, and will finally submit an offer, if it's the right price. Make your home move in ready, and model perfect~'nuf said!! Good luck. ;o)
    ...See More

Fresh ideas for selling home quickly...

Q

Comments (24)
    What's the average DOM in your area? (Our neighbors recently sold after three years on the market and following the market down. Friends in California couldn't get offers in fast enough where homes sell for more than list price in hours.) What's your competition? (You might go look at it when open houses are held.) What's SOLD in your price range? What's the average percentage of list prices reflected in sales? Is your house being shown?
    ...See More

Selling small condo - need "smart" house ideas

Q

Comments (8)
    Skip the shower head and the motion sensor faucet. The outlets should be useful by most of the people who would purchase. The speaker in the shower head no. I have wondered how loud and annoying to neighbors they would have to be to be heard while while showering. From my own personal experience not all people can activate those motion sensor faucets. Most restaurants/bars in this area have them and I have to have another person "turn them on" for me. If not I use wipes.
    ...See More
  • naplesgardener
    16 years ago

I had never heard of strongbark (that's why I love this forum-I learn so much). Now I know it's a Florida native and endangered-it sounds like a great addition to anyone's native garden.
    I agree that it does nothing for your curb appeal for most buyers and hope someone will adopt and move it.
    The jatropha and necklace pod to the left looks great there.
    Can you trim the jasmine down to 4' height so it looks less like its hiding the house?
    I would also cut the hibiscus down to 3' and move it elsewhere.
    I think your home would look "fresh" if your hedges in front of the house didn't look so tall. Emulating the way new homes look when the landscaping is new.
    I really like the way the low groundcovers look in the front area and the birdbath is beautiful.

• jaspersmommy
    16 years ago

Debbie I am in Miami also. I will take anything you don't want. I will make my son go over and help dig. He's 29 just married, but mama still has influnce!!!LOL. Seriously though, I was away for 6 years and I have NO plants left in my yard but a batch of crinum lilies. So keep me in mind. Dena

• gardenbrat72
    16 years ago

I agree, I like the natural look of it, but non-gardeners(???)probably wouldn't. So here's my two cents, take out the strongbarks, and a hibiscus off the right corner. Trim up everthing else so it looks more tidy, move the birdbath to where the strongbarks are. You could go from there and see if it looks neat enough after that if not you could always trim or move more things.

Brat

• acoreana
    16 years ago

My humble opinion is to do some shaping/trimming (lush, but controlled...established, but neat), and add some inexpensive but colorful annuals along the bottom to add that *POP* to your curb appeal. I would only remove those things that you absolutely must as lush tropical landscaping (that doesn't over power the house, but instead accents it) is very attractive.

My $.02,

Nat :-) (who wishes you the best of luck!)

• wanna_run_faster
    16 years ago

I agree with naplesgardener and acoreana, selective pruning, if possible bring down the overall height of the bushes in front of the house by about a 1/3, add tons of summer annuals in front and around to the front door. You want them to be able to look at the house from the curb and see the front door so that hibiscus might have to go (if it doesn't look right after pruning).

• DebbieInMiami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You guys are the best. I have to say that this board is one of the few that you can actually post a question and people are supportive and not so critical that they are ripping you to shreds!

I didn't think about taking one of the hibiscus out vs. both, great idea ! The front door is way back, but you are right, never thought about that.

Nat, I don't think I know HOW to do neat and controlled pruning. Believe it or not, I spent 4 hrs hand pruning the bushes already hahaha you must be laughing now! But I am really going to try - those Jasmines can come down below where the wall is. You guys don''t even see the "window box" that the jasmines are planted in front of. And it's white Plumbago that is in the "box" in front of the window, not more huge plants. THANK GOODNESS.

Dena, if I do decide to take something out, I'll let you know. My e-mail is: tullitis@aol.com, send me yours - I live in West Kendall.

THANKS so much again everyone!! And I will post an after pic for you to approve and let you see the other side, which isnt nearly as bad but may need a little sprucing as well.

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

OK here it is grom a Realtor(me) I love all those ideas but would also make this mention.Make sure you can walk behind those bushes and SEE the house.Buyers as well as inspectors will be looking for insect entryways and rot.Fix either if you find them. Make sure bushes are not touching the house.
    I always like to see a rock mulch from the bush to the house but wood mulch in front of that.People have a phobia of wood mulch touching the house.Good luck this is a tough market.

• DebbieInMiami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great point! They actually can get behind the hibiscus (which is probably going anyway), but the Yesterday & Today is back there near the house, but I am planning another chopping fest today.

The market is tough, and I am concerned that I made the wrong realtor selection...all of the spruce ups I am doing have been generated by ME. To hear her talk, just put it up for sale in my neighborhood, give the right price, and they will comes. We've only had one call in a month. I'm ready to cry over that big blunder....

• acoreana
    16 years ago

LOL, I feel your pain!

It's hard to hack off a big portion of a plant you love, especially when that portion has the blooms, etc., on it. I think you may just have to hold your breathe, close your eyes, and hack away, lol!

I have a design program I bought a while back for playing with landscaping...I'll see if I can mock up what I was thinking/suggesting.

Additionally, I wouldn't think twice about withdrawing your listing and putting it back in as new once you've made your curb appeal changes. Shouldn't be an issue to do on the same day...your realtor might need a letter from you stating that these are your wishes or something along those lines. In this market you have to use the system to your advantage.

I'll post a pic if I can make it work,

Nat

• goldenpond
    16 years ago

Please don't cry over the fact that you have only one call.The market here is so bad Brand new 4/2/2 homes are being rented for 750 a month. In the good times you could just plunk a sign in the yard and they would come and buy but things are not the same. Find out how the house is listed in the MLX. For instance when I ask a buyer.What are you looking for They will say how many bedrooms baths garages etc and whether they want cbk or frame. 99.9 times they want cbk. So all those LOVELY frame homes never get the chance to even get looked at because all that info goes into the computer and gives them ONLY what they ask for.
    That requires more open houses and ads although I might also add that not alot of homes actually get sold via open house. If you do have an open house request postcards be sent to several blocks around you inviting people.Often your neighbors know someone looking to buy.If you withdraw the listing there is usually something in the contract that says if you sell it with x amount of months you still must pay a commission.That is because some people would look with a realtor than try to do a deal without the realtor.You also may have a cancellation fee. So. Talk to the Broker Owner if it is a big company. Ask to see the MLX sheets.Ask for a flyer box to be put in our yard.Ask to see all ads.Be reasonable in pricing.Even though YOU feel it is worth a certain amount can they buy a brand new home for the same amount? Go to open houses in your area and see what is out there so you get a feel for the market.
    The Realtor cannot force someone to look at your home or even to call about.Don't take it personal or blame the realtor for the crappy market.REMEMBER The realtor ONLY makes $ IF the home sells so it is in their best interest to sell it since they are already paying for ads etc.Trust me ,you are not the only one upset with this market and trying desparately to sell. It is a buyers market so you probably will get some ugly cheap offers by investors. Many people are being foreclosed on.Your house looks great just be patient and good luck.

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

I would agree with Nat. Give everything a good haircut. At that point if it needs more get out the shovel. Good luck. Are you moving out of the area?
    Nancy

• naplesgardener
    16 years ago

Oh boy do I have experience dealing with realtors since we sold a condo here in Naples and house back in Delaware. Both were our residences (not investment props) and both were sold in a declining market. The northern market went down first and Florida followed a year later.

It always boils down to price. if it isn't selling it's always the price. We spent 40,000 improving our DE house because it didn't sell in 12 months.Realtors are the last to recognize that market conditions have changed. ALL the realtors we have used wanted to overprice our listing price.
    We had to force our agents to lower the price and then lower it again trying to stay ahead of the down-swing.
    If I could change one thing we did it would be to "Take the first offer". We lost a lot of money by not doing that in DE and made money in FL when we did.

Having said all that you should still cut back your shrubbery. Many many people (like me) do their real estate shopping online and if the photo doesn't look good I wouldn't even go see it. You need to appeal to the widest number of people and most people have no imagination (unlike the GW'ers here).
    Good luck. I'm done selling properties and hope I'll be in this house for many many years. Selling your house is a tough time, ours ended well but I still get tired thinking about the process.
    Best of luck in your project.
    Denise

• DebbieInMiami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi guys! Well, to keep it on topic so we don't get the thread knocked off...I cut the Jasmine down so you can now see the top of the window box, and the window is now completely exposed because I cut the Plumbago all the way back because it was a mess. Now little sticks look funny, so I will probably take it out, add more dirt to raise the bed, and plant something else there.

I also cut the Hibiscus again, but I think it is shovel time for that. It looks awful, and try and I did, it's a gonner. I cut the Yesterday back a bit as well, so it's not touching the wall. I'll finish everything next weekend. Right now it's either Dena or the native plant society who will hopefully come get the Strongbarks!

People can't believe it when I tell them this, but I have NO idea if I am staying here in Fla. or not. I did check out NC and really like it. But I can't think about that until I sell my house. I have a friend of mine who can't sell his condo on Hollywood Beach, so I hope I sell before he does so I have someplace to go haha.

Now as far as the agent....Golden, THANKS for giving me some things to think about. I feel as though it has been a very rocky road. It took me a month to get decent pictures up and have the front of the house be the first one people see and not an old dining room table. She even got frustrated and brought ME her camera!?? And her thinking that having pictures of a jungle in the front of the house is in my mind, questionable.

I am very realistic about my house, it's in a good neighborhood, but there are very few upgrades and I am concerned in this market, with all of the shows people see, and staging tricks etc. I need to do more. Not go nuts like redo everything, set tables, rent furniture, but take care of most of the little eyesores that hopefully will help people overlook other things they may not like but know they can change.

She wanted to start the house higher than I did, we've already lowered it a bit. But maybe that is a good thing because I don't believe it's going to be a buyers market forever and maybe I won't have to give it away. If they settle the proprty tax issue, I think the market will open back up. But that's just my humble opinion.

She says agents don't attend agent showings "west of the highway" so we aren't doing that, we've had one Open House (and that was only because I asked if we were having one) and she says the paper doesn't work and that it will be an agent who brings in someone. That may ultimately be the case, but then what am I paying her for if we do sell? If she makes the process smooth, then yes it will be all worth it, but I was hoping there'd be more marketing. MY BAD for not clarfying.

I think the biggest challenge (besides good pics and more marketing) is her thinking I don't have to do anything to my house to fix up. I am not talking big stuff like redo kitchens, bathrooms etc. those NEED upgrading but I can't afford it. But for instance, she doesn't think an ugly old door leading out to the patio, that you can replace for $100 is necessary, painting a bathroom that was peach with AQUA sponging (I could go on & on but I won't) and she thinks it's ok to have boxes everywhere "you're moving". Yes, my house is very clean, very uncluttered (except a lot of boxes in all of the closets - former family members stuff etc. LOL)and it was pretty much all freshly painted over the last 3 yrs.

So in the meantime I hired a Handyman and we did a decent amount of good fix ups so I have cleaned up most of the little eyesores that a potential buyer would find obnoxious to have to do, and I got a storage unit and unloaded the boxes.

This is someone who has been selling in this area for over 20 yrs. I am afraid that perhaps she is still doing things the old way and I just want to be sure we are doing everything that we CAN be doing. Asking for a marketing plan has gotten me nothing "oh I am sending out some cards soon". But I spoke with her over the weekend and was very vocal about my feelings (finally) but I think that will only get me the decent pics on the MLS.

I will stop now, it is making me crazy, but if you have ideas, let me know :)

• minibim
    16 years ago

So why sell right now, if you don't even know where you want to move? Seems like there is a glut of new and existing homes currently, personally I'd wait until the market changes a little.

Seems like no one buys a house anymore in this area without completely gutting it and remodeling, so there's probably some validity to your realtor not wanting you to waste money upgrading. Especially if you say thing like the baths and kitchen need remodeling, what would a $100 door do other than waste your money?

• DebbieInMiami
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mini for the feedback. Of course there is a lot more to the story than I would want to bore people here with, but you pose good questions.

What I was trying to do, was get the house to where someone can purchase a large home and lot at a good price, and fix up the big things as they can afford to. I felt it would be a lot worse for me if there were a ton of little things to deal with too!

• floridajane
    16 years ago

Here's my two cents :) Take your time and fix your house up the way you feel gives you the best advantage or you just won't feel good when the sale goes through. We're selling our house and have decided that we would do low-cost, high impact things to help our sale to happen. Since we're also looking for a house to buy, we've learned a lot about what attracts our interest and what turns us off from a house. I think that curb appeal and the first things you see when you enter a house (walkway, strong, solid front door, living room) have swayed our opinions of houses a lot. Sometimes we get the immediate impression that the house is clean and updated, and other times all we see is the amount of work waiting for the buyer. So in our own house, even though we still have an out-of-date bathroom and a pool deck that needs to be resurfaced, we have put in a new front door and added some neat touches and fresh paint to the living room.

Keep us posted on your progress!
    Jane