SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pqtex

Seasoned Ground Beef (Ball Blue Book)

pqtex
11 years ago

First time to can ground beef, with the exception of soups, chili & spaghetti...

I prepared the Ball Blue Book recipe for Seasoned Ground Beef and followed the recipe exactly. The recipe called for 4 lbs lean ground beef (browned, fat drained & removed), 1-1/2 cups chopped onions, 2 cloves garlic (minced), 2 cups tomato juice, 1-1/2 cups beef broth, 1 tsp seasoned salt, and 1/2 tsp pepper. An initial taste test was very positive.

Since this is my first time to can meat without it being part of sauce or chili or soup, I don't know whether it had enough liquid with it. I realize this is a different recipe than the NCHFP for canning plain ground meat, but that recipe instructs you to add liquid to the jar after filling with the meat. The Seasoned Ground Beef recipe just says to fill the jars with the meat and sauce. I decided to play it on the safe side and added more boiling liquid to the jars, as if making regular ground beef. Jars have 1" headspace. I am processing 11 half-pint jars at 75 minutes.

The extra tomato juice changed the flavor somewhat--not negatively--but I liked the original flavor better. I didn't pack the ground meat in tightly...just filled the jar, and tried to equally distribute the meat and liquid among all the jars. Prior to adding the extra tomato juice, the recipe produced the amount estimated.

Should I have left the extra liquid out, going exactly by the recipe? Will the extra liquid change the texture of the meat?

thanks,

Jill

Comments (4)