SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

Progress report on M. sinensis 'New Hybrids' from seed.

donn_
19 years ago

I sowed the seeds (from Park's) in mid-May, and transplanted 4x4x4" clumps, in plant bands, in mid-July, both in containers and in ground. Plants in each location doubled in circumference and reached 3' in foliage and 4' in plume height.

I've isolated the two easiest hybrids, because one bloomed in August, and the other didn't start blooming until November. The plumes and seeds are decidedly different. The early bloomer's plume is powdery and twisted, while the late bloomer is tassle-like. The early has a beige plume and seed and the late has reddish plumes. One of them (can't tell which yet) goes thru a very red foliage stage in late fall.

I have about a dozen clumps of various sizes, and am getting quite a bit of seed, so I'll be sowing both individual hybrids and mixed clumps this winter and spring. The mixed clumps that I grew this year are really fascinating, with the variety of bloom times and different plumes (is there another word for these?). I don't remember any difference in the seed as it came from Park's, but it was well cleaned and the stuff I've gathered is in the seed carrier, fuzz and all.

For Miscanthus fans out there, I came across the article linked below. It's 4-5 years old, but it's a fascinating look at Miscanthus hybridization in Europe, for the purpose of non-food biomass production (Silver Grass as fuel!?!). A good read.

Here is a link that might be useful: EMI - European Miscanthus Improvement

Comments (16)

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County