SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

Go late to escape the land of the brown scapes.

newyorkrita
13 years ago

Debra said something in one of here posts about the land of the brown scapes. Meaning bloomed out daylily beds done for the year. I have those also. But I have garden beds and bed sections in full bloom and ones not even started or barely started. That is because I have been heavily adding late and extra late bloomers to the garden. And not just here and there but complete sections.

I have some main sources for the late bloomers. One source is Olallie. They do have many late and extra truely late blooming daylilies. I had bloom last year into October from some Olallie daylilies.

Another great source are the Dale Thomas intros sold by Perfect Perennials. I started by buying the few Thomas intros pictured on the Website. But that was hardly enough. I bought all the Dale Thomas late and VL blooming daylilies listed in the perfect perrenial catalog. No pictures and no pictures on the website, I just bought them having very little idea what they look like. Well, they bloomed last year. Fabulously beautiful. And even better this year as they are settled in. More buds and branching.

Another source for late and extra late that is working out very well for me are my Hibard intros from this local Long Island Hybridizer. I am very pleased to see how much better they look this year after having some time in the garden. Bigger flowers and more of them.

My latest for late and extra late bloomers are Jum Murphy intros. I had had afew but last fall added many more. These are just starting now. You have to look thru the listings, not all Murphy intros are late or very late blooming.

There are quite afew Reckamp Kelms that are late bloomers, I bought the ones I have on the lily auction.

Also last fall I added a batch of late and very late from Tranquil Lakes Nursery. These are old or old fashioned looking but if they bloom late as it appears they will do (as promised) the blooms are fine by me.

There are also quite afew late blooming Shooter intros from Marietta Gardens. You just have to find them. Ones I have and am thinking about are CAT SCRATCH, PAMPERED PUSS, MARIETTA SURPRISE and A FRIEND TO ALL.

There are others to be picked up here and there, more hard to find. But the blooms on the late bloomers and extra lates sure beat looking at the land of the brown scapes.

Comments (20)