SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

shade for cool weather veggies

I live in Boyne City Michigan. This city is located in the upper part of the lower peninsula.

Today I planted some carrots and icicle radishes from seed. They're in white containers and the containers are 9"-10" in diameter and 3 gallons.

I am wondering if I should put them in partial shade even though the seeds haven't germinated yet. The reason I'm debating doing this is because I know cool weather veggies have a difficult time even germinating if the weather is really hot.

I would like to put them in an area where there is mostly shade but some patches of sunlight to cool them down. However would they receive the adequate sunlight that they need?

The reason I'm asking if I should put them in shade is because I don't want my seedlings to suffer because of warm weather and I don't want them to die.

I plan to plant turnips, spinach and lettuce in the near future as well, so I'm wondering if I should put them in shade as well. I would like to put all my cool weather veggies in the area where there is mostly shade but some patches of sunlight as well. My question is would they receive enough sunlight that they need in an area where there is mostly shade.

I would just wait until the weather cools down for my veggies but I want them to mature in time, I don't have a choice but to plant some of now. As a result unfortunately I don't have the option of waiting until the weather

cools down for some of my veggies. With spinach and white radishes I can because they have such quick maturing times. With lettuce, carrots, and turnips I don't have time to wait to plant them later until the weather cools down because they take longer to mature.

I could really use input and advice regarding this please.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES