SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Help! Dying Boulevard False Cypress & Butterfly Bush

squirrellypete
17 years ago

Was out of town for 3 weeks for a family emergency. I had 2 beautiful 'Boulevard' False Cypress that are about 2-3 feet tall which were the picture of health when I left. This is their second season in my garden and have had gorgeous blue-green color all year despite virtually no rain all summer and no additional watering from me. Got back yesterday and at least 50% of both shrubs have turned completely brown. They are on different sides of the house planted in well-drained raised beds. Anyone know what might be causing this???

Also have a second raised bed at the office 1 mile away with matching 6 foot tall 'Honeycomb' Butterfly Bushes on either end. Each in their second year as well. They both experience the same sun & water conditions and looked normal when I left town. Now 3 weeks later one of them looks completely dead on the outside. Has practically turned black. Broke off a branch and it's still green inside though so I'm hoping it will live if I cut it back. I've never seen this before.

My mom kept telling me on the phone about how great it's been down South in our areas and how our house had gotten some decent rainfall while I was gone. Everything else in my garden looks better than when I left. Is it possible that some plants who have become accustomed to drought conditions can go into shock from water? It isn't like we had a monsoon -- just a few good thunderstorms. The BB can be easily propagated but I'd hate to lost those Blue False Cypress so any advice would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Squirrellypete

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting