SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nornster

Pansies in my tulip/daffodil bed

nornster
18 years ago

Hi, all - I did a search in the other forums, but I really wanted advice from folks in my same zone. I planted bulbs (daffodils, tulips, crocuses) for the first time last fall in a bed right up against the house. When they came up this spring, they were patchy, with lots of bare spots. My husband was complaining (I must admit it looked silly), so I went out this weekend and planted pansies - to fill in the spots, and to cover up the bulbs' foliage as the blooms fade.

I'd like to have some pansies in place next spring, so the whole bed looks full from the get-go. I don't think these pansies will make it through the summer - this planter box is south-facing, in full-sun all day and surrounded by concrete and siding, so it gets really hot in the summer. I usually put zinnias in the box in the summer, water 'em well, and they look nice.

Should I rip up these pansies in late spring (and cut the bulbs' foliage after the blooms have faded a month or so), and then replant some pansies in the fall? I've read some conflicting advice about pansies being able to make it through our winters to bloom again the next spring. Folks have also said that pansies are good reseeders, but this bed is probably over-mulched - I was worried about protecting the bulbs I planted last fall. Maybe I should just sow some pansies seeds in the fall?

Sorry for any rambling - advice is appreciated!

Comments (8)