SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enpea

New Gardener and Controlling Weeds

enpea
11 years ago

Hello I am new to the forum and gardening! I bought my house 2 years ago now and have started managing my very large perennial bed in my backyard. There were a lot of open areas (not very filled with flowers) so I started to work my way down planting a few more plants each season (so far and I plan on continuing it). My problem is it's already overgrowing with WEEDS this spring!! It's very early in our season here too and I have not planted anything yet, I've just started to clean up and prepare. I have identified the 3 weeds doing the majority of overtaking: 1. Canadian Thistle 2. Ground Ivy 3. Bittercress

The canadian thistle has been coming up since I moved in but it just keeps getting worse. I had been pulling it but now reading it says that is BAD. So I need to do something else - I think I'm going to paint them with round up now (they are still all just sprouting and no where near flowering). Any better alternatives than this?

The Ground Ivy seems worse this year and I'm not sure how to kill this one, some are easy to pull when I can get the whole string of them but any thoughts on this one?

The bittercress I have not seen in prior years AT ALL but now it is ALL OVER and already blooming. These seem easier to pull out and not rooted so deep so I started to do that but they are already flowered. Is there a better way to kill this besides pulling?

It's just all very overwhelming and discouraging at this point. I just want to get my garden nice and FULL of perennials and the weeds minimized. The house next door has been vacant since we moved in (it went up for sale right when we moved in) so their backyard is full of weeds with no one there to do more upkeep than mowing so that is likely not helping me out at all. I definitely plan on doing a thicker layer of mulch this year but I'm just so frustrated. Any tips or words of encouragement from more seasoned gardeners out there?? Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (4)