SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
acorneti

New interspecific hybrid 'Mel Karn'

acorneti
9 years ago

Cucurbita maxima turbaniformis 'Red Melk' (picture right behind) x Cucurbita moschata 'Bueng Karn' from Thailand (picture right front) for the new C. maxima hybrid 'Mel Karn' (created in 2014 as you see left side).
F1 will be selected but also crossbred with the 4-lober giant 612 Ammer 14 ( a stretto bred 1385.5 Jutras 07). P-generation also is a 4-lober.
The aim is to create a larger C. maxima fruit with C. moschata flesh and with fusarium resistance from C. moschata.

This post was edited by acorneti on Tue, Sep 23, 14 at 11:31

Comments (5)

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Now I opened a C. maxima 'Red Melk' fruit.
    Very nice flesh and decicious too.
    But seeds are not so good filled, as I like it. No bad seed.
    Good enough to conserve this very rare variety.
    I grow almost all C. maxima turbaniformis pumpkins, but only a few are very delicious: 'Red Melk' is the best one, then come 'Buttercup' and some greys with crow around the blossom end.
    This year I grew such a grey one on C. maxima boer ford 'Pumpkin de Durban' artificially pollinated by C. ficifolia: this might be a real chef d'oeuvre, but I wait to harvest it and will open the fruits a year later. Yes, with the genetics of C. ficifolia this interspecific hybrid will be storable more then a year... as I hope, since fertilization was perfect for flesh and seed.
    I did not find 'Red Melk' at seed companies in North America. And where I bought it in Germany, the shop is closed until late October: ingana.de

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This Cucurbita maxima 'Marina di Chioggia' might be pollinated by C. maxima 'Mel Karn' next year, ...if male flowers and pollen are developed. Will then warts and bulges break through again?

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Three month after harvesting this fruit it developed a little orange spots. So it has not completely lost the ability to make real color.
    Since we can see so many traits from the pollen in this parental generation, I named it C. moschata 'Xenija' now.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Dark grey turned into olive, and at the stalk side only light grey partially into orange.

• acorneti
    Original Author
    9 years ago

...like the cross of pistil rudiments already showed outside:
    Xenija is a strict four-lober.

Sponsored