SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chgoemerald

Planting under Live Oak Tree

chgoemerald
13 years ago

I hate my front yard. When our house was originally built, they decided to plant 3 live oak trees on the patch of lawn right outside the front door. We don't have a lot of land, so it's defiantly not practical! But, with 3 we had a lot of shade and the state of the lawn didn't much matter.

In 2004, when the hurricane's came through 2 of the 3 trees were totally knocked down. Now we only have one left standing. The lawn looks terrible!!! And now that you can see it, we get HOA letters all the time that we need to do something about it. Every year we try something new....sod, seed...nothing ever works or grows evenly. The roots of the oak are quite close to the surface and are out of control!

We've put a large circle of landscaping stones around the base of the tree and filled it in with mulch, but we still have a bit of bare lawn (or should I say sandy dirt) up to the sidewalk and driveway.

Any suggestions on whats best to plant in this area??? I've recently put in some weed type ground cover plants...and out of 6 plants I only have 3 left....I'm extremely frustrated! HELP!

Comments (15)