SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlgroupgirl

Please tell me more about 'French Drains'

girlgroupgirl
18 years ago

OK, I am having drainage problems. Thankfully, one super duper kind member of this forum came and gave me some wonderful advice about installing french drains, and a "dry" creek bed. Now I realize there will also need to be several swails put in :(

I am going to attempt my first french drain soon. The dripline of our new house is not so hot in one area, and the gutter spills badly, plus my driveway water is draining in that area.

I got a book from the library, but they have no advice as to how deep I should be digging down. I'm planning only on planting a groundcover over this area.

Now for the construction of the drains. The book said to lay some landscape fabric in the channel you dig, then lay in sand. Should I use sand or gravel? I've also heard gravel.

Lay in the pipe. I assume I lay in a black pipe which has holes on all sides? Are there some with only holes on the top?

Then lay another layer of gravel, and wrap the whole thing in the rest of the landscape fabric. Cover with soil.

Now how about the ends of the pipe? How do you keep from getting soil in the pipe, or critters? Can you somehow attach hardware cloth to the ends to keep rats out? I have only seen these pipes open, and have mostly witnessed them encased in a lovely stone wall...clogged.

THANK YOU!

girlgroupgirl

Comments (13)

Sponsored