SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southerncanuck

Best quick growing privacy shrubs

southerncanuck
11 years ago

First post here, I'm over on the homeowners forums, and need your expertise as planting time is getting close.

A bit of background info. My neighbour to the east of us took down a row of pines that bordered our fence line in the fall. A few had seen better days and she had them all (10) cut down last fall. She was nice enough to ask what I though even though she didn't have to, I told her entirely her decision. What I didn't realize until they were all down was the privacy these trees provided as well as the wonderful morning doves singing that are no longer there to wake me in the morning.

We are in a high wind area with waterfront on the north shore of Lake Erie.

The fence line is in a shaded area between the 2 cottages.

Only have 8 feet between the fence and my cottage.

I want to plant something that will give some privacy and grow quickly. I don't want to plant any tall growing trees as the fence will be affected by roots, Some type of bushes , shrubs that I can easily trim is what I am thinking.

Dear wife suggests Rose of Sharron which we have and seem to grow like weeds and have done well in the same light and wind conditions as well as thinking maybe some Lilac which seem to be fast growers mingled in with the Rose of Sharron.

Any suggestion from you greenthumbers is much appreciated and thanks in advance.

By the way I'm no gardener by any means, keeping it simple and cheap is a goal. I have seen the price of some shrubs, wow!

Comments (9)