SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happykat826

mature pumkin skin sinking

happykat826
13 years ago

yesterday our pumpkin was beautiful.. starting to turn orange and harden up. The seed packet names the variety as Zapallo gran max and the picture shows a nice orange fruit. I cannot find anything on that name.

We have had a ton of babies start to grow then shrivel and cave in. We pollenated most of them by hand but maybe too late to take.

We were perplexed by the yellow color, so we started reading up on growing pumpkins.

This morning we got up and checked out our brand new horn worm issues and saw our pride and joy showing signs of the skin sort of wilting down. The pumpkin is about the size of a basket ball or a bit larger, the spot on top covers about one quarter of the skin and the one on the bottom is more like where it was laying on the ground (artificial turf). It is not discolored, no leakage. the skin nearest the stem is turning orange..

Lacking any better knowledge, we have removed the pumpkin with hopes it will cure okay in our closet and be useable. We aren't sure what we will use it for right now. we hoped to grow them for our grandchildren.

So, is anyone able to tell me more about the variety (is it good to eat) and what the issue is with the skin changing so drastically overnight??

I have facebook pics posted of the pumpkin on the vine just a few days ago and can provide one of it in its' current state. I am new but checking out the URL here for my username to see if pics can be posted.

Thanks..

Comments (3)

Sponsored