SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
steve1young

Miscanthus 'Dixieland'

steve1young
14 years ago

Is anyone else using this great grass?

I'm a big fan of the look of regular-size Maiden Grass, but I'm not a big fan of having to wrestle the monsters out of the ground every few years and cut out the dead interior and divide them. I'm a big guy and still, that's one heck of a job.

I find that 'Dixieland' is really great for a smaller stature, variegated Maiden Grass. It gets only about 5-feet tall (flowers at about 6-feet) and it never seems to get too thick and dead in the center (at least not for my garden conditions).

Granted, it flops in winter but the way I've been solving that problem is to put 4 48-inch rebar stakes in the ground around the grass and tie the grass so that you barely notice the rebar/twine, but the bars provide great winter support. In the spring/late winter when I cut down the grass I replace the 48-inch rebar with 12-inch rebar as place holders until it's late summer and time to put in the 48-inch rebar again.

I'm not sure how available 'Dixieland' is, but if you find it and try it, I hope you like it!

Happy gardening!

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions