SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homechicken

What's the best (and easiest) way to keep seeds over the winter?

homechicken
12 years ago

My wife and I bought three different pepper plants earlier this summer. We've not had good luck with the two varieties of bell peppers. They flower and sprout baby peppers, but by the time they're the size of a golf ball, they're soft and spongy with wrinkly looking skins. Then they start to rot on the plant. The plants have just recently started producing nice looking and firm bell peppers, but none are big enough to pluck yet. On the other hand, I've been getting these gorgeous 5 to 6 inch long by 2 inch around Sweet Marconi peppers off one of the plants for the last month or two. These things are absolutely delicious. I went out on the deck (we have them in pots) a while ago and picked a nice ripe red Marconi and am enjoying it raw on a sandwich as I type this. We're not real good at keeping plants alive over the winter. I don't even know if you can keep pepper plants that way. We bring several in every fall and put them by the windows in the basement, but neither of us goes down to the basement much during the winter and consequently, most of the plants usually die from lack of water. If I start collecting seeds from this Marconi pepper plant, and the others too, how do I store them for planting next year?

Comments (5)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!