SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sugarhill_gw

Sweet Autumn Clematis Blooming

sugarhill
18 years ago

After three years, my sweet autumn clematis is finally blooming. It probably would have bloomed the other years too if I hadn't moved it so many times each year. Last year I finally planted it along my deck railing and left it there. I wanted scent in that spot, but now that it's blooming I have found out that I can't stand the scent. It's revolting to me. So I'll be moving it this fall to a place where I can't smell it. I am thinking about replacing it with either flame honeysuckle or confederate jasmine because I know I like the scent of them. I have a question about each one.

I have a confederate jasmine growing in a sheltered spot in my front yard, and it takes winter in stride. The deck is not sheltered and is on the southwest side of the house. Will confederate jasmine survive that location or will a southwest orientation give it too much exposure to alternating warm and cold days in winter?

When does flame honeysuckle bloom (or Alabama crimson or any of those native species)? Do they bloom just in spring or do some of them bloom throughout summer?

Comments (14)

Sponsored