SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janav_gw

Mixing ground covers?

janav
10 years ago

First off, I'm new to gardening, so I need all the help I can get.

I have an area approximately 100 sq. ft. on the north side of my house that gets some dappled morning sunlight and then some more in the late afternoon/early-evening. One section of this area is shaded during the morning but gets some mid-day sun. Right now, the area has a few well-established hostas and one large fern (closest to the house and in full shade), and is covered by a very large lilac. I'd like to fill-out the bed a little more.

Our local nursery had a sale and I couldn't help myself. In addition to some various coral bells, bleeding hearts, and grapeleaf anemones, I went a little overboard with the groundcovers. I bought chocolate chip ajuga, another variety of ajuga (can't recall right now), pachysandra, crested iris, lily-of-the-valley, and lamium.

The wife loves iris and lily-of-the-valley, so those are staying. But what are your thoughts on mixing up two or more of the others, either in sections or next to each other, and letting them grow into one-another? Is this a bad idea? If not, which two (or three) should I choose? The others can either go back to the nursery or I can use them in a part-sun area in the front yard that currently has some japanese forestgrass and a few ferns.

Comments (5)

Sponsored