SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drcd27

Need advice on selecting a ground cover to help with erosion

drcd27
10 years ago

Hey guys! I am a new homeowner and in my inexperience, I'm not sure what to do about the slope in my backyard. I've lived here about a year, and thus far I've just mowed the slope. As you can imagine, that is very cumbersome for a push mower. I'd like to put some type of groundcover down on the slope so that I no longer have mow it. Additionally, the beginnings of an erosion problem have started. The slope goes down to a creek in the back (behind my chain link fence). I'd like to find a ground cover that is low maintenance and would help with the erosion.

My neighbors have successfully planted English ivy in their yard (we all have this same slope). It seems to work for them, but I have read contradictory claims about English ivy. Some say it does help with erosion, others say it contributes to it. I tried planting lily of the valleys that a coworker gave me, as well as monkey grass plants. All have died. I planted three English ivy plants recently just to see if they would grow. I've been watering them well and they haven't died yet. However, it's not too late for me to remove them.

Anyone have any suggestions for me? I live in St. Louis, Missouri. Our weather is unpredictable and often times, extreme. Our summers are extremely hot, winters can be mild to extremely cold, and spring and fall are just as unpredictable. Also, we have a LOT of rabbits in our neighborhood, and especially in my yard as the creek is a nice water source for them. The soil here is....clay-like, I guess? Right now the bare patches where grass isn't growing is very dry and dusty.

I uploaded pictures of the slope so you can get a visual (see link below). In the pictures you will see where the erosion is at its worst. The flower bed the previous owners installed is almost falling apart due to the erosion, and I've stuck two concrete piers in the hole at the end of the slope which has eroded out.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and I would welcome any suggestions or tips.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of the slope

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert