SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenfharr

Drought-tolerant, full-sun groundcovers?

karenfharr
15 years ago

Help!

It's 95 every day, no rain for a month, only allowed to water once a month, and need to replace brand-new sod that has died.

Will probably wait for fall or if summer rains start.

One area is between street, sidewalk, and driveway... totally enclosed by concrete, so not too worried about spreading beyond where I want it to be, and it gets no foot traffic.

And I want it to grow to no higher than about a foot... preferably lower.

I searched online and came up with a couple mail-order companies that had search tools for their products, and came up with 3 very interesting plants supposedly for those conditions: Dragon's Blood Sedum, Phlox, and Coreopsis

but I don't know... coreopsis dried up on me once (or maybe just died for other reasons), and I thought phlox liked shade and water. The sedum looked spectacular in the photo and it says it only gets to 5 inches height.

I really like Muhly grass, but it's expensive (this area is ~ 25 x 10 feet, and I have several other areas of about the same size, so I need lots of plants). It's also a bit higher than I had in mind, but pretty airy, so don't care so much if it's a little high. Coonties are really nice, but really expensive and can get quite big.

Hope someone can help,

Karen

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions