SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shadara_gw

My Poor Carex

shadara
14 years ago

So back on April 21st, I nabbed some plants that were in an overgrown, leaf-covered garden. I wasn't sure what this plant was but I could tell it wasn't a weed. I had no clue what to do with it at my new house, so I just plopped it into the shaded, North flowerbed and hoped for the best. (see picture through link)

Well, after several searches online I believe it to be Carex morrowii 'Aurea-variegata' (Japanese variegated sedge). Luckily the location it is in should be fine for it. However...

I planted it at the same soil depth it was at old place, but I didn't compensated for the thick dead leaves it was trying to poke through before. I don't think I planted it deep enough. It seems pretty healthy, but looks leggy and mostly laying down. :(

Since it's been over a month since transplanting, would it hurt to replant it deeper right now? Maybe bunch the stalks closer together?

Also... I have some topsoil and manure available to me. If I DO replant it deeper, should I mix a little of either/both into it's soil when replanting (since it's all sand right now)?

Here is a link that might be useful: My Poor Carex

Comments (6)

Sponsored
More Discussions