SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westfieldma

Crown Vetch Failed! - Hydroseed again?

westfieldma
17 years ago

Here is the ultimate groundcover puzzle and I have about three weeks to decide whether spending $1000 to hydroseed is sending good money after bad.

My house is cut into a hillside. The back and side face a 50 degree plus slope with a Northwest exposure to wicked winter winds. Four years ago, in a panic to nail this bare hill down and protect my new construction home, I paid someone to hydroseed the 150 ft long, 75 ft high hill with Crown Vetch. The plant was tall and yellow, not at all like the purple that I see on the internet descriptions. It survived the first winter but gradually died off and I am back to a bare hillside with some significant erosion issues.

The soil is acidic with a lot of moss on the lower slope and full sun in the heat of summer. Rock covered with lots a clay.

The landscaper just runs the machine. He used Crown Vetch because his supplier told him "everyone does."

So here is my question: I can have my hillside hydroseeded for the cost of material. Figure about a $1000 budget. Is there a hardy, New England "groundcover cocktail" that I can mix up to secure the hill under these conditions? Or should I spend my $1000 on the beginning of a multiyear plan to plant Junipers along the crest and other stuff below?

BTW - Professionally terracing this hill would run over $50,000 and the thing is mountain goat steep!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments (5)

Sponsored