SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

New Project Yesterday - pics

newyorkrita
14 years ago

Yesterday the new half round planter boxes that were planned to be added to the section in the front yard with the bigger half round planter boxes was finished. I had had the blocks now for at least two weeks and was waiting for my guys to show up and do the work.

I moved some roses, especially two really big ones, afew weeks back and that same day shubs were moved out of one of the planterboxes and roses moved in. I have one more rose to relocate into the top old planterbox and then these new ones finish yesterday get new roses I bought to be planted in them.

Some of you might remember the planterboxes from other threads. Just to the right of the roses in the old bigger half round planterboxes is the slopped front yard with the daylily section.

{{gwi:311627}}

{{gwi:311628}}

{{gwi:311629}}

While they were digging they dug up this BIG rock!!

{{gwi:311630}}

It now goes with the BIG rock dug up last year when I was having the front yard planterbox garden done.

Then if you look to the left of the new planterboxes you see the rather steep slope at the side of my driveway. This grass has to be cut with a weedwackers, much to steep for a mower.

In the early spring of 2007 I arrived at this forum asking a question about putting daylilies on a steep unterraced slope. This is the slope I was referring to. I since figgured out that it would never work because you could not leave bare ground and wait for the two fans you normally get to fill in. I needed clumps and I did not have them. Well, its 2 years later and guess what? I have clumps now!!!!

So I intend to start putting clumps of daylilies along this section of hill, starting at the very top of course. Then I will see if it works and how it goes. I intend to move the entire last row out of the plateau in back and some other switcheroos that I have in mind. I know I have said it before but I am the queen of moving things around!

{{gwi:311632}}

Comments (31)

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

That is sooo cool! Gives me an idea to add some height to my garden.

Looking forward to seeing your clumps in that bank. I think that will look good.

Vickie

• shive
    14 years ago

Your new half round planter boxes look great! What are you putting in those?

Debra

• Related Discussions

New Finds Yesterday (pics)

Q

Comments (11)
    Thanks! NCnana: I'm right there with you about the bugs! I'm dying to bring in a bunch of my sunflowers for this evening, but am still trying to figure out a way to de-bug them! DD suggested Windex (LOL!) OA, I bought the last they had or I'd go get some more and mail them to you. But, DH hasn't seen them yet. If they look too much like Texas or Texas Longhorn stuff (University of Oklahoma's arch rivals) to him, I may send you these. No offense meant towards any Texas people here . . . it's just a football rivelry thing (LOL!). I once won the grand prize at a big Fall art event we went to locally. It was a handcarved and painted longhorn (cattle, not team) chair, made by a well New Mexico artist, and DH wanted me to let someone else have it! The chair ran almost $800, and I like it. It looks great in our Western guest room, where DH doesn't have to look at it every day ;^D . . . men and their footballs teams! Here's the chair BTW:
    ...See More

Mercury Glass Lovers: New Find Yesterday (Pic)

Q

Comments (6)
    Lynne, thanks for the reminder to get to TJ Maxx this season. I didn't think there was one near me, then my neighbor told me about one in a nearby town. I've been wanting to go look. I also wanted to tell you that your angels are so neat too. One of those would sure look good in a tablescape too I'll bet. Luvs
    ...See More

Pics of three new projects

Q

Comments (1)
    I could tell it was a shell right away! great job, the watering can is really CUTE too
    ...See More

Pic of glass and link to new totem project

Q

Comments (4)
    Your glass is just beautiful. I love the colors. It will make some gorgeous projects. I love the totem too. Are you going to mosaic it? Or leave it clear? It will be gorgeous either way.
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am putting roses. Then up on top of the bank were I made that new little annual garden, I plan to put a single row of shrub roses. That would be between the tree to the left and the low rock wall kind of in the middle of the picture. Then the daylily clumps on the slope in front. I hope this works the way I have it pictured. If it does, then it will really, really be beautiful.

• mizellie
    14 years ago

I think it looks great and I don't see why it wouldn't work. It will be gorgeous....Ellie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One has to get very creative to find usuable garden space around here :-))

• katlynn719
    14 years ago

Love the round planter boxes! The staggered heights look very professional. Hey Rita...is that a Chaste tree with the purple flowers? It sure is pretty and will make a pretty back drop for your roses. And what are you going to do with your big rocks? Any plans?
    Kathy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Its a Butterfly bush. I have five Butterfly bushes around the property in different colors. I love them and so do the butterflies.

I have to pay the guy to take away the rocks :-((

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

I love them planter boxes you have designed.They look gorgeous,and I think I would keep going right down the side of that hill in pic # 3 with more of them.and m ore daylilies in them,and m aybe some thing that would trail over the sides.

Jean

• timberohio
    14 years ago

You wear me out just reading about all the work you are doing. LOL

I love the new planter boxes they look fabulous very different. You should be a landscape designer.

Can't wait to see that hillside planted with dl's. It's going to be spectacular.

Andrea

• Nancy
    14 years ago

I love your ingenuity! I'm wishing I had a slope like yours now, I just have boring yard, a bit of a slope but not enough to do something like you have. Well, maybe I can build up, then down :)

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have to wait until after bloom season to move the daylilies. But the back two rows of the daylily plateau are way too thick and I can barely get in there. I was warned that I didn't need two or three of everything but I wouldn't listen.

I actually think this will turn out extra great in the long run. Those evergreens are mostly from Maryotts, some southern daylilies and some Maryott intros. None of them rebloom here although that would be different in the deep south. Planting on a steep slope I think daylilies would never rebloom as it might be difficult to deep water. But they don't rebloom anyway.

The plateau I so much wanted to rebloom and was very dissapointed that does not happen. Well, guess what, I will MAKE it happen. After those clumps move out, I will start moving my northern hybridized rebloomers in.

• katladie
    14 years ago

Those planters are wonderful Rita.

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Rita, I just love your place. I love the half-rounds - those will look so interesting planted! And what a beautiful way to decorate that slope. The dls will be layered and will really show to best advantage! It's almost like taking the ground and tipping it toward the viewer - "Here, look at these!" :D

Awesome!

Don't you love big rocks?

I've said it before, but I'm all about moving things around too. My husband jokes that no plant ever stays in one place for more than a year here. Of course he's exaggerating. :P But I guess it is pretty rare that I ever plant something and NEVER move it. You just don't know a lot of times what it's really going to look like and how big it will be. And, you get new, better ideas all the time! I have big moving plans for this fall. Gosh, half the fun of having a garden is moving it around all the time! LOL!

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Honestly, I am not a fan of rocks. If I had alot of room I would use the rocks as accent pieces in the garden. But I don't have the room and just view them as wasted space. Space is precious here. These new planters will hold 4 roses and it was alot of work and expense to make the room for 4 roses. Of course the point is to create a focal point of layered roses in this section so the total effect in the garden is more than just a spot for 4 roses.

I like to use hardscaping to create visual interest. Thats what I did with the terraces garden in the backyard and with other terrace walls in around the garden.

• farmerbell
    14 years ago

Rita - looking good! I love the different levels. This new addition is really unique and looks to be a great solution for the slope. It seems as though each bed should hold a wonderful specimen plant. Congratulations!

Ann

• Cindy zone 6a
    14 years ago

Those planters are just great!!! Love em. Get your pic of the raised bed on, ( when you have time---, don't mean to sound so demanding - LOL) I want to see how you put the iris in. Boy, I'm waiting on my order from Schreiners, don't have it yet ,maybe today. Anxious to see the bonuses. Your yard is amazing.
    Cindy

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had planned to plant the roses in there yesterday but since the iris order was here, I had to do that first. So planting the roses in there is on the schedule for today.

Pictures of the planted iris are in the camera, have not downloaded or uploaded yet. Working on it :-))

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Your new round beds are beautiful. I love the way they look, and they may have given me an idea for a section of the lawn where there is a petrified stump! I swear it is. I may just do a round raised bed around there, and plant. Dh will argue, but that isn't new...automatic response.
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have some pictures from the other angle.

{{gwi:311635}}

Remember this garden bed done this spring? I had a long post with lots of pictures about it.

Now this will tie in to the planned garden that continues down the hill.

I said once that this is the way I build my gardens. I do one thing and then I contue on when I can. This all started with the shrubs in this front yard corner, then the pond and rock wall, then the little garden in front of rockwall and planned to extend and wrap around.

{{gwi:311634}}

{{gwi:311633}}

{{gwi:311636}}

{{gwi:311637}}

{{gwi:311638}}

These pictures taken from more further back should give you a vuew of whats there and an idea of how whats planned to be there should look in the future. You should also get a better idea of what my vision is for this entire section of front yard by getting the longer view. It is far less terraced and far less formal than the other side of the front yard but I really like the way its all starting to come together.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just dragged myself in from planting roses in the three little planterboxes. Got more in there than I thought I might yesterday but the amount I had thought to do before the planters were finished. I took pictures but I am dragging and dirty so I not going to download now. I don't know how other people manage to garden and stay clean, I am wearing lots of the dirt I was digging up to plant those roses LOL. Going to shower and make dinner instead of fussing with the pictures tonight.

It turned out really well, I spread out some grass seed after the planting and as soon as the roses settle in and the grass grows, its going to look fantastic.

I have one rose in the smallest, two in the second and three in the third and biggest planter. With just having the roses in there it already looks good. When they grow alittle, it will be great.

I still have to move the bigger rose into the top (third one) of the older three half round planters and then that rose grouping will be done.

I am really pleased with myself over this.

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Took new pictures this morning. Lasts nights were too dark and the flash went off and messed up everything. Here they are with the new small roses planted.

{{gwi:311639}}

{{gwi:311640}}

{{gwi:311642}}

{{gwi:311643}}

I am so happy to have it done!!!

• rarejem
    14 years ago

Rita, It is looking fabulous! Not only are you the queen of moving, you are the queen of terracing! I just love the look of the stone walls in your garden, and the planter boxes were a wonderful addition.

Your hillside will look spectacular with the daylily clumps! My first dl garden is on an almost identical bank, and the effect is wonderful. They were the perfect plant to fill in the slope, and I needed something there to hold the soil. The only thing that I wish I did differently was make a path cutting across the slope about halfway up. I still climb up into mine to get pictures, and sometimes it gets quite trecherous!

Have you considered putting an add on Craigs List to get rid of your rocks? So many people DO use rocks as focal points, and going out to buy something that size would be spendy. Bet someone would be happy to come and pick them up!

Julie

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I will be moving daylilies after bloom seasom. I am wanting to do that moving project, or at least start it, but of course I don't want daylily season to end. At least I have things that should rebloom now but those ones to be moved are not rebloomers (at least not here).

I was spacing out access and that slope is so steep that I can reach the area that the top row will be easily just by standing on the driveway there.

One thing I have not figgured out is how I am going to actually dig the holes to plant the clumps. There is no way you can stand on the slope, too steep. But I just know it will look great in bloom. Slopes are a real challege but if you can deal with them, the gardens can turn out much more interesting than just flat land.

Still haven't figgured out what to do with my rocks but I do agree with you that someone must want them, just not me!

• katladie
    14 years ago

Wow, that looks great. Your gardens are wonderful. I love the picture with the roof of your house showing. It makes me want to know what beauty lies beyond the row of shurbs, especially seeing a glimpse of beauty in front of them. That is what I have planned for my yard, a very little at a time.

Sharon

• jean_ar
    14 years ago

WOWJean

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The grass has grown in that section from the grass seed I planted and some of the new and moved roses there are in bloom. It really, really looks great and turned out to be one of my better ideas!

I still have the rose to move into that last large planter which has been planned to do since this part of the project was finished.

I have lots of roses to move still, I am re-doing the entire rose bed that runns along the south side of my house. I had started moving roses and had done quite afew and then just stopped and started moving daylilies around as soon as some stopping blooming and I could work with them.

Too many things to do here this summer. I have really bitten off more than I can chew because I have little roses sitting here in pots that have to get inground this month so they can get settled before winter. Can not plant them until others are moved.

• shive
    14 years ago

The roses are looking great, and I really love the bed with the cosmos and marigolds. I'll be looking forward to seeing how it all shapes up.

Debra

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Looking good, Rita!
    kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I don't want this to fall off the board yet so I a, bumping it up.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Rita,

I love those planter boxes! Really love them, but that stone wall in front is to die for!

I have a very nice slope like yours, but unfortunately, most of it is under a huge water Oak tree. That tree is the bane of my garden, but DH loves it...I keep hoping for a lightening strike or something.

I would adore having some big rocks like those dug up on your place. I do have some space they would fit into, but I will have to settle for the rocks around the pond I imagine.

I have been working outside all day again. Everything got sprayed with fungicide. The Knock Out roses behind the greenhouse are the only ones that still need cut back a little. I've been moving hard scape around, and I have to go back to Lowe's to get more. I need to put down some fresh mulch too.

I got the cannas dug up, and the shrub that had gotten too large in the front is gone too. I rooted a piece of it since the hummers love it, but I will plant it far away from the day lillys since it an aggressive grower.

I plan to plant three clematis tomorrow. Two of them are in buds. I decided to make my herb garden a pot garden, so that gives me more planting space. Well except for the clump of Rosemary...it's too big to be moving it around.

Thanks to someone I know posting on the Cottage Garden forum, I went to the recommended website and ordered hummingbird mint and butterfly weed. I read the post after digging up the cannas, and hadn't decided what to put there. I have butterfly bushes, red hot pokers, and a dahlia or two in that bed, so I figure the new stuff will fit right in. I will have to make a little change in my nice rich bed that the hummingbird mint is going to, but that won't bee a huge thing. I just need to "lean up" the soil and improve the drainage which I will do at the same time.

I planted a few trays of annual seeds today, and painted some of the garden fixtures (bench, plant stands etc...) but there is still a lot to do.

DH is working a little along on the new pond project. The little existing pond is far too full of very large fish, so this expansion is well overdue.

I still am not going to order a lot of daylillys or iris this year. But somehow, it seems as if there is still an awful lot of work to be done. I was looking at the stepping stones today, and the freezing and thawing this winter caused some heaving, so I will be doing a bit of work there too.

kay

• newyorkrita
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You sure have been busy again. You got me to laugh about my posting to the cottage garden forum. I am so very cottage garden here.

Anyway, the roses in the rose planters are starting to wake up this spring. That entire area that I put so much work into is going to look fabulous this year. Thats were the daylilies were moved into that steep slope. I can't wait to see them bloom.