SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jamie_mt

How do you organize your 'green' containers?

jamie_mt
15 years ago

I'm talking about the bins you use for recycling, containers to hold things destined for the compost piles, etc.

I've just started saving things over the past few weeks for recycling and compost, and I'm having to rearrange cabinets and countertops to accomodate my new need for "staging" areas/bins. I like things to run efficiently in the house - which basically means I'm really lazy, and want to be able to take the least steps possible to deal with whatever it is I need to put aside. The compost crock for the kitchen will need to go on the kitchen counter, right by the cutting board to remind me that scraps and paper towels, etc go there, not in the garbage. I could put it under the sink with the garbage, but now that area is home to separate containers that collect items for recycling - plastic and metal. I have a very small, galley-style kitchen, so no room for anything just "sitting in a corner" somewhere.

Then there's bathroom items - my makeup remover wipes are biodegradable & all natural, so can go in the compost pile, as well as toilet tissue roll cores. I want to separate those from the "regular" bathroom trash, so I'll need another container to collect "bathroom compostables" in there, somewhere that will remind me not to throw them out. Another garbage can behind the first, perhaps, though it doesn't need to be very big. I guess cotton balls are probably compostable too - I'll have to check. Maybe I can find a nice looking basket with a lid around the house to use for collecting bathroom compost items. I have the biobags for liners, that will just be tossed in the compost as well.

I had planned to keep the large recycling totes from the company outside the back door, and just empty my smaller containers into them as they filled up. But the company requests that they be kept indoors to preserve the lids, so I'll have to find a spot in the shed, I guess...no room in the garage, and I have no idea where I'd put them in the house. I need a couple more garbage cans for under the sink to hold recycleables though. Do you sort everything out as you go, or put them all into one container, then sort when you get ready to put them at the curb (we have to sort into separate bins for paper, plastic and metal)? I'm going to need something to put paper, cardboard, and such in for the compost pile as well, along with any kind of compostable plastic containers I happen to get along the way (things too big for the compost crock).

So how do you organize your recycling and composting "collecting"? Or do you just run everything outside to bins/piles whenever it's generated, once per day or whenever to keep things from piling up?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor