SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scryn

replacing appliances with energy star ones

scryn
17 years ago

I thought I saw a thread on this, but I can't find it so I will start one.

We are buying a new fridge (our really, really old one is broken). So our new one will be energy star.

This got me thinking about our dishwasher, that doesn't work very well, so I either do things by hand or wash them 2x. It works better some days. Would it be best to replace this dishwasher with a new energy star one although I have to throw something out that isn't exactly broken?

Also, the new dishwashers say they use less energy than doing dishes by hand. Can that really be true? I don't mind doing dishes by hand, but if this is true, then it would be smarter to use a dishwasher AND I would save time.

We have a gas water heater. I don't know if that makes a difference. Do these dishwasher heat water themselves or get hot water from our water heater??

I also have to add that it has been extremely frusterating finding a "normal" sized fridge to replace our old one. Fridges are so much larger than they once were! Then we find a small fridge and find out they (manufacturer) don't bother to apply for energy star ratings because the smaller fridges don't use as much energy as the big fridges. Ya, well, Regardless of the size, I want it to be as efficient as possible, dugh!

-renee

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County
More Discussions