SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
squirrellypete

Propagating to sell...any tips from you who do?

squirrellypete
17 years ago

I am finally propagating enough that I'm considering having a sale this year or perhaps wintering things over and having one next spring, with the possibility of turning it into a small part-time local buisness in the future for supplemental income.

Questions:

Is it true that all professionals use soiless peat-based mixes? I used store-bought potting soil when I pot up for trades but from what I'm reading on the internet they say to never do that for "sale plants". Is this because of soil-born diseases? And how would a small-timer like myself get ahold of the good stuff in larger amounts?

When is the best time to dig up field-grown cuttings (like 1-2 year old Butterfly Bushes) for potting? Should this be done while they're still dormant prior to spring green-up or should they be potted in the fall and then overwintered in an unheated hoop house? I have historically had a black thumb when it comes to potted plants so the less time I have to care for them in pots before a sale the better their chances are lol.

I propagate cuttings in an automatic misting rooting bed and then move them to a nursery bed to grow on for a year or so which most of them seem to like very much. But I dug up some beautiful 1-3 gallon sized Butterfly Bushes for the swap as well as for some friends and despite my care in digging all the roots, watering them well and providing shade the Honeycomb and Black Knight varieties seemed to go into shock badly. The Nanho Blue on the other hand was hardly phased. I'd like to avoid this shock in the future. It may be weeks before they are looking nice again and by then we'll be in the heat and alot of folks don't like to buy/plant when it's that hot, not to mention the plants won't like it.

I've read some interesting things in the "market" forum although most of those folks sell produce and I was hoping for some advice more specific to things I grow. I propagate mainly perennials/landscaping shrubs. Right now Butterfly Bushes, Pee Gee Hydrangeas, Chrysanthemums & Artemesias are what I have excess of but will have more variety this year.

Any tips will be helpful! Sincerely, Squirrellypete

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022