SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misskitty1393

best light /cutting back a Butterfly Ginger?

MissKitty1393
19 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm new in the ginger forum, been posting and learning in the plumeria forum for a while. :-) I'm in Southern california (Thousand Oaks).

I have a yellow butterfly ginger that is in a large (14") pot. I orginally purchased it to give a "tropical" foliage feel to my atrium and fountain area, I didn't realize how gorgeous the flowers are!

It has given me 3-4 sets of incredibly fragrant blossoms each year for the last 3 years, but I think it needs more sun than it currently receives (early morning sun,filtered or no direct sun otherwise), so I will move it elsewhere to encourage more flowers.

Any recommendations as to how much sun is best? I have two options: a west-facing deck that gets some shade in the late afternoon (potted dwarf citrus thrive there); a south/east facing patio with slatted wood covering that gets morning sun, filtered day/afternoon sun, strong late afternoon sun. Suggestions?

Also: the ginger currently has 10 stalks, each about 5-6 ft. high happily growing right now. The stalks are so heavy that they are falling over, and I'm trying to stake them but there are a lot of rhizomes and not much space for stakes!

Cut it back now? Move the plant now? or wait till possible freezes are past?

thanks for all help!

Kitty

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County