SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
juliet11_gw

Visiting a local hybridizer's garden (large photos)

juliet11
16 years ago

This weekend, Frank (Bud) Bennett had his annual open garden and I went on Saturday. He said I could share my photos with you. Bud Bennett has been growing daylilies for over 50 years and he hybridizes dips. I think his most well known daylily is probably Kiwi Magic. I have two of his flowers in my garden - Salty Skipper and Forever Sweet, and I really like them both. I first visited his garden in 2004, when I was just getting into daylilies, and it is still my favorite daylily garden. Here is photo of the main part of his garden I took last year:

(I already had my garden laid out with a central island and gravel paths, but his of course are much better!)

When he moved into his house, it was brand new and the yard was a blank slate. He did all the work himself, including making all the "stones" that border the beds out of concrete using his own molds. Behind the trees near the back of the property are three large bins with compost in varying states of readiness. He has worked hard on improving his soil!

What I like a lot about his garden is it isn't just daylilies - he uses companion plants that complement the daylilies such as phlox, allium, veronica "Goodness Grows", liatris and sea lavender. Here's a closer view from this year:

He also very clearly labels his daylilies in large letters - no searching around in foliage for names! Here's another bed (the numbered daylilies are selected seedlings):

This photo also includes a clump of my favorite daylily in the garden this year Wild Cherry Wine. Here is a close up of it, but it isn't nearly as pretty as the real flower (the ruffled edges are just slightly darker than the rest of the flower):

Wild Cherry Wine

There's a link below to an album with more photos if you're interested.

Thanks for looking!

Juliet

P.S. I hope these photos aren't too big, but there's so much it's hard to see in a small photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bud Bennett Daylilies

Comments (16)