SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wayne_perrier

AG Pumpkin Update - Wayne

wayne_perrier
18 years ago

Since I've been posting a bunch of questions about my AG growing experience, I thought I'd follow Douglas' lead from last year and start a thread. I'll be asking lots of questions in addition to updates, so please feel free to contribute answers, criticism, and share in the experience with me ! I guess that's part of the fun of gardening !

So, to recap, I've got a single plant, bought the seeds from Howard Dill directly, and this is basically a trial year for me. If I get anything over 300 pounds I'll consider that a great success. Modest goals. I haven't started adding fertilizer yet. The plant is about 16 feet long with numerous secondaries; I haven't pruned too much except to keep it away from my electric fence. I've pollenated 5 flowers up to today and only 1 "took". Pumpkin1 is growing nicely (below are circumference measurements):

June 19: pollenated

June 22: 8 inches

June 23: 9.25 inches

June 24: 11.0 inches

June 25: 12.75 inches

June 26: 14.75 inches

June 27: 16.75 inches

June 28: 19.75 inches

Now the bad news. This pumpkin developed a stem split yesterday. The stem is about 4 inches long and 1.5 inches thick, and I now have a 2.5 inch split on the stem. It's expanding, but seems to be healing, I think.

Today I pollenated Pumpkin3 (Pumpkin2 shrivelled up a few days after pollenation). Pumpkin3 is on the primary vine, just like Pumpkin1, but is about 15 feet out. Will see how it does.

I'm considering continuing to pollenate pumpkins and let them all grow to basketball size and keep the "best" one. Does anyone have advice for poor Pumpkin1 ? thanks.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio