SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_ussher

Wasp nest - getting bigger every day...

SaintPFLA
15 years ago

Okay...don't hate me...but, I don't consider wasps to be something in need of protection or consideration. Yeah, I know - they eat bad bugs, blah blah blah...I don't care. My phobia is stronger than science when it comes to hornets and wasps.

My next door neighbor works nights....I never see her - ever....and I think she has no idea of the rapid construction project taking place under her eave.

The the wasp nest (paper wasp to be specific) is approx. 20 feet from my house. I've been watching it grow and grow and grow thinking, 'Well, MAYBE she'll notice it and remove it?...' Since I 'garden' and she does not, the wasps come to my yard daily to hunt their prey, drink water, etc. They're starting to become more abundant in my yard.

I am terrified of wasps and hornets. I was attacked by a yellow-jacket nest as a child due to a very poor choice on my part of selecting a hiding spot during a game of 'Hide & Seek'.

So....I took matters into my own hands this evening after sunset. I sprayed Spectricide Wasp/Hornet killer (with up to a 27ft. stream). I used half the can - then, ran into the house!

Is half a can enough to kill the hive or do it need to do it more tomorrow? I shut off all the exterior house lights and the lights on that side of the house so they wouldn't fly towards my house. (...okay, stop laughing.)

I shined a flashlight (thru the side window) onto the nest. I could see some 'angry hornets' flying around and that half the nest fell to the ground. Perhaps, the weight of the spray caused it to fall?

Honestly, besides 'aim and spray' - the directions don't offer much advice. Such as when is it safe to go outside again?...LOL...

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Comments (13)