SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenelbows1

Do you grow any outdoors all year?

greenelbows1
16 years ago

Last year I put a couple Chirita sp. 'New York' outside without protection and they lived, tho' they looked awful, and didn't come back to their normal lush beauty. Last fall I had several for the house and my little unheated 'more for storage' greenhouse, so I put my largest one in the ground and covered it and the nearby rhizomatous begonia with a frost blanket. Just uncovered them today, and other than looking like it hadn't been getting quite enough light the chirita looks unchanged. The begonia, which has been outside for something like five years and always comes back to look great, is more damaged. I see Sinningia conspicua is starting back into growth; I was worried about it 'cause we've had quite a bit of rain and I wasn't sure it was well enough drained where it is. S. macropoda was on a rack under a frost blanket and looks great. S. magnifica started into growth after only about a month's dormancy, so I brought it in and grew it under four T8 tubes on the bottom of the light stand, and it will probably be in bloom fairly soon--half a dozen or so stems with multiple buds tipped with color. For me it really is 'magnificent'--bloomed all summer last year with three or four stems at a time. And bloomed, and bloomed--and the hummers visited regularly. Anybody else?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES