SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kelly_indiana

How to tell if my Geranium is dead?

kelly_indiana
18 years ago

Hi all! I really hope you can help - I am desperate!

Here is a photo of what I'm dealing with: {{gwi:828217}}

NOTE: this is dead ringer for my plant - except mine has no mulch and is in a 12" plastic pot. You would never believe was a SUPER healthy giant-sized geranium/pelargonium only 2 months ago!

BACK STORY:

I bought this *gorgeous* pink hanging geranium from a supermarket 1.5 years ago (label just said "geranium" - sorry not sure if this is exactly correct)...it did GREAT hanging outside on porch in NW Indiana over the summer, it did GREAT with moving to a hot sunny loft in Chicago where it spent 10 months hanging near the heater and in front of sunny window, a few months after that it did GREAT moving with me to L.A. where it sat on a hot sunny deck all this past summer. Now it is Fall and we moved back to NW Indiana (South Bend, IN to be specific).

Starting October 1, Miss Geranium had to leave her sunny hot deck in L.A. and sit in a moving truck for a week - sit in storage unit another week (all in darkness) - then came out and we put her near a sunny window and began OVERWATERING her to make up for our "abuse". I know - that was dumb now.

In Oct, she seemed weak but ok. But come November she began looking VERY spindly, all her leaves began falling off, it was NOT pretty. Now it is VERY VERY DARK here in Indiana in November, compared to being outside in L.A. all summer - would this why she changed like this? Is it just a very bad reaction to this huge change and lack of hot sunshine?

Couple weeks ago, I read that sitting her on a pebble tray with water would help her condition by "adding needed humidity" - so I did that and she got worse (yes, I shoulda come to this forum first!!).

Yesterday, sitting on her pebble tray and looking quite pathetic, she had 3 spindly sick looking leaves left...I removed those very sadly along with some dead looking branches. I have finally learned to stop watering her (as of just last week). I drained all excess water out, no more pebble tray, moved her next to my giant Jade plant in a sunny window (or what passes for a "sunny window" here in very dark & wintry Indiana!)- and will only water her monthly like I do the Jade.

The soil is still REALLY moist tho (typical potting soil) - and is NOT succulent type soil at all. Should I repot with sand?? With succulent soil? Shouldnt she be kept dry like succulents?

Heres the REALLY bad news: some tiny black flying insects seem to be coming out of her pot! This started last week or so I think. They look like tiny black sewer flies. I've only seen a couple but I'm really scared that this may be "the end" for this beautiful plant.

MY QUESTION IS THIS....

Have I killed her? Is she dead? Is she rotting & in need of proper burial? Or is there still a CHANCE now that I've moved her to a sunny window and stopped watering the heck out of her? Some say that after doing this, they got back their geraniums within a few months.

Please give me hope! I moved this plant SO far and she has been SO great - I'd really love for her to make it SO much! Many thanks guys!!

-Kelly

Comments (9)

Sponsored