SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fieldofflowers

What's the secret to rooting cuttings?

fieldofflowers
10 years ago

I've been trying to take cuttings of the geraniums I brought in before the freeze. I tried rooting in both water and soil. I've tried large cuttings and small ones. I've tried keeping them in bags or left in the open uncovered. The situation is the same: They all rot. The stem turns black and the plant dies from the ground up.

I've also tried drier soil: They wilt...dry up or still rot. I'm getting worried because I am running out of plant material. And plus I have to keep the larger outdoor/indoor plants away from my main houseplants (my show African violets), which means they don't get the best light. It's nearly impossible to do isolation in a 1 bedroom apartment situation, but I do try. They've all been treated. If I can get a smaller portion to root, I can keep it in a bag isolated and directly under the plant lights. A small cutting would be easier to keep over the winter than something too large to put under my lights. So far I've been having issues with rot. It also happened with the begonias I tried to save.

These are scented geraniums btw and about 2-3 different varieties. I'm not sure if those are harder than the norm or not. I have had a few successes in past years, but I can't see what I've done differently.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH