SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Scented geraniums on steroids !

I have several scented leaf geraniums (pelargoniums) that I bring in each fall. They, of course, get very leggy and have to be cut back severely when I put them out each spring. Then it takes at least a month before they look decent again. My husband is always asking why I keep those raggedy old things. They are all the same variety, the mosquito-repellent citron-something. I like other kinds more, and keep buying them but they never survive as reliably.

This year when I hacked them off in spring I had lots of cuttings. I had no pots left to stick them in so stuck them in the bare spaces in my new perennial bed. No rooting, no hormone powder, no TLC. Just made a hole with a pencil and shoved them in. Well these things REALLY took off. I have never seen any so big. I have always had them in pots, so I guess never knew they were being "restrained". The leaves are as big as my hand! They look almost tropical. Compared to about 3" leaves in the pots.

Instead of taking the potted ones inside this fall, would I be better off taking cuttings of the garden-planted ones?

For some reason I have not had luck taking cuttings in the fall; they seem to rot, not root. I bought the wet oasis mentioned in the propagation forum and also have perlite. If I'm better off using the giant ones, would I have more luck with rooting with those?

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery