SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sahm2jordan

Geranium dropping leaves.. over or underwatering??

sahm2Jordan
19 years ago

Hi everyone! This is my first gernanium bought on impulse at walmart a few months ago bc of the beautiful lavendar blooms. I have had a problem of leaf dropping that I just can't figure out.

When I first got the plant it was huge and full and pot bound. It required daily watering and sometimes twice daily to keep from drying out and losing the buds so I repotted it. I was actually 3 in one pot so I did them into three pots.

This may be the cause of my problem but they have florist foam packed around the base of the plant and roots. It cannot be removed without doing serious damage to the root ball so I left it.

They get about 4 or 5 hrs of full mid day to afternoon sun. They constantly produce buds and blooms and new leaves. I see no signs of pests or disease. It's humid and hot here. I do not water in the heat of the day unless I have to and if I do I put them in the shade so not sunshine on wet leaves here.

If I let them dry between waterings like the tag on them says the buds dry up and fall off so I water when the top of the soil feels dry and the buds still look healthy. I water completely until it drains out of the bottom. This is about every 2-3 days depending on the heat.

The leaves turn yellow and then they turn brown and dry and fall off or more likely get plucked off by a frustrated me! Here are some pictures I took of them around noon today. Any suggestions? I am going to take the cuttings and overwinter them in the house since I love this color. But I'd love to stop losing my leaves since they are beginning to look scraggly.

{{gwi:825665}}

{{gwi:825666}}

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this. It's been driving me crazy! LOL

Michelle

Comments (3)

Sponsored