SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marial1214

Tried to overwinter my geraniums...

marial1214
16 years ago

Well I just went down into the basement to check on my red geraniums which I put there last October before the frost came. I've never had any luck overwintering them except when I lived in France and kept several of them in a sunny window and watered them once per month. Even though some died, some did live and came back but they were indeed smaller.

For some reason back here in the US it doesnt work for me. My mom said to put them in a garbage bag with a wet paper towel and keep them in the garage. I never tried that method. Last year I placed them on a plant stand in the basement. They looked sad & dead all winter. Today, June 7th, I went down there to see if I could salvage them but they were all dried up. Above the plant stand are two crawl windows so a small amount of light does shine through but basically it's a pretty dark room. The temp is lower than on the living floor, it's cool but it's not cold by any means. It's so cool that in the winter, in order to use the treadmill I must turn on the little electric heater. Otherwise it's too cold to walk on the machine. I hope that gives an idea of the temp.

They were all brown and dried up. It's pretty late to bring them out since it's June, I sort of expected them to be goners but I was hoping....

....so I'm off to buy some more for the season. Any idea what kind i should buy? Must they be "zonals?" Does it matter what kind? I'm talking about the basic red ones.

THANKS!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus